Database Administrator - 12 month FTC
- Castlefield Rd, Reigate RH2, UK
- Salary: Competitive
- Department: IT
- Working Hours: 35
Here at esure, we’re no strangers to change. As one of the industry leaders in the insurance business, striving to become a world class digital insurer, we’re getting ready for more. It’s creating great new opportunities for innovative and talented industry professionals to join us at a pivotal point in our development.
It’s an opportunity you simply don’t want to miss. You can expect our investment in you to include a highly competitive package, career and development opportunities and flexible benefits built around you and your lifestyle.
Purpose of Role:
As part of esure’s Data Operations team, the Platform Support Engineer supports a variety of Datacentre and cloud-based databases behind websites, back-end APIs, contact centre and Data Warehouse systems.
They are responsible for the support, maintenance, security, performance and provisioning of databases underpinning these core business applications. They also share skills within our Cloud Services team and should be an evangelist for Database and automation best-practices to the broader IT community.
The Day to Day:
- Ensuring required reactive and proactive activities are undertaken to ensure service availability.
- Provide early evaluation and input on new business initiatives on the existing underlying application infrastructure platforms and delivery schedule.
- Proactively see opportunities to reduce support effort and costs through effective tooling and automation.
- To challenge decisions across areas to ensure smooth delivery of change while remaining compliant to existing standards and policies.
- Recognise issues and risks and to contribute to the development and delivery of technical solutions, as well as ensuring live services are protected.
- Schedule and manage own workload, given set priorities and unplanned production support.
- Assessing risk of proposed changes and making decisions to approve or not based on information available.
- Working with relevant parties, including external third parties, to identify and address root causes for issues.
- Oracle 12c (or above) with production RAC/Dataguard experience.
- Cloud experience – AWS and/or Oracle Cloud
- Good working knowledge of Git and source control.
- Monitoring / alerting tools and solutions – OEM or AWS/OCI
- Scripting or coding with bash/plsql/sql
- Solid understanding of network concepts, particularly in a hybrid cloud environment.
- Strong Linux knowledge.
Desirable Technical Experience:
- Postgres (Standalone, RDS or Aurora)
- Oracle Exadata and ExaCS
- Apex and ORDS deployments
- Puppet and Jenkins
- Oracle Goldengate
- Oracle EBS 12.2
- Broader knowledge around Tomcat/Apache/Kerberos/Docker.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- 25% discount on esure & Sheila’s Wheels insurance (10% for immediate family) or a guarantee to beat any other insurer’s renewal quote on both home and car insurance
- 15% Discount on esure and Sheila’s Wheels Travel Insurance
- Discretionary Bonus
- Festive Bonus
- BUPA - Private medical cover for eligible colleagues
- Flu Jabs and Eye Care - Free flu jabs every winter, free eye tests every two years and £50 towards VDU glasses
In light of the current Covid-19 pandemic, we want to emphasise to all applicants that the safety and wellbeing of our candidates and colleagues is esure Group’s number one priority. All interviews will be conducted remotely via a video conference platform to ensure that everyone involved is adhering to the social distancing guidance.