Senior Data Scientist, Australia, Visa Consulting & Analytics
- Sydney NSW, Australia
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of innovators who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The Sr. Data Scientist, who will be reporting to the Director of Data Science for Australia, is expected to have excellent problem-solving skills leveraging advanced analytics/machine learning/AI to solve real challenges for Visa’s clients. The candidate will work with colleagues across the organisation to extract insight from vast amounts of data ultimately to drive business actions and shape strategies. The incumbent is expected to be hands-on with sharp technical skills, they should be confident working on a best-of-breed open source technology stack and should be comfortable working in a consulting client-facing setting. The role will involve close collaboration with other Data Scientists, Strategy Consultants, Economists and client teams. The role will be focused on the broader Australia and New Zealand market and will be based in Sydney, but they’ll be an opportunity to interact with some of Visa’s team globally.
What a VCA Sr. Data Scientist does at Visa:
- Work with client teams and internal stakeholders to solve real-world problems leveraging vast complex datasets and data science methodologies (examples including supervised predictive models, unsupervised segmentation models, insights dashboards, geospatial analysis, ad-hoc analysis…etc.)
- Conduct end-to-end analysis that includes problem understanding, data gathering, processing, analysis and business-friendly articulation of insights.
- Contribute to the development of data solutions, tools and products to enable self-service frameworks for internal/external stakeholders
- Lead development and application of new methodologies and analytics techniques, promoting best practices in the field.
- Collaborate with the internal teams to fully understand business problems and desired business outcomes
- Providing thought leadership in both using data to solve business problems and in arriving at innovative statistical solutions
- Ensuring all project documentation is up to date and maintain the highest levels of quality in deliverables
- Ensuring project delivery within timelines and budget requirements
- Contribute to the development of the team’s analytical skills and expertise.
- Cultivates open and clear communications across team members and stakeholders
Why this is important to Visa
- The successful candidate will work directly with Visa’s clients to solve their most pressing business challenges – projects are high impact and high profile
- The role will allow the candidate to contribute and collaborate on building out new data solution leveraging Visa’s rich transactional data and best-of-breed open source technology stack
- The candidate will have the autonomy to develop creative solutions
What you will need:
- 5+ years of hands-on data science experience
- Subject matter expert in data science with structured problem-solving experience
- Ability to craft compelling business narratives using data visualisation and insights
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated intellectual and analytical rigour
- Must be team-oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible, with excellent presentation skills, including strong oral and writing capabilities
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills and the ability to present complex ideas in a clear & concise way, a team player with a good work ethic
- Proficiency in common open-source coding languages - Python, Spark, Hive, Presto, R etc.
- Proficiency in common data visualisation tools - Tableau, Qlik, Power BI and open-source alternatives like Shiny or Plotly Dash
- Deep understanding of supervised and unsupervised learning techniques, network theory, geospatial techniques and time series forecasting
- Exposure to version control (Git) and collaboration tools (MS teams)
- Excellent relationship and stakeholder management skills
- Expert in presenting ideas and analysis to stakeholders.
- Very detailed oriented – candidate is expected to ensure the highest level of quality/rigour in reports & data analysis
- Global mindset, desire and demonstrated ability to work cross-culturally and in a matrixed organisation
- Ability to execute and solve problems independently
- Proven skills in translating analytics output to actionable insights and recommendations.
What will also help:
List out the nice to have or preferred skills and experience for this role. This could be specific industry backgrounds or knowledge of specific markets
- Prior experience working in a consulting client-facing setting
- Prior experience and knowledge of the payments industry
- Exposure to pipeline automaton tools like Apache Airflow, Tuber, Oozie
- Experienced in working across a matrixed organisation
Projects you will be a part of:
- You’ll work with some of Australia’s most iconic brands to help solve their most pressing challenges
- You’ll leverage one of the world’s largest and richest datasets
- You’ll learn from a group of talented and high performing Data Scientists, Strategy Consultants and Economists