Staff Software Engineer
- Foster City, CA, USA
As the world’s leader in digital payments technology, Visa’s mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You’re an Individual. We’re the team for you. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
The Software Engineer, Switching systems Test Engineering, will be based in Foster City, California and will report to Visa's Network Processing Test Engineering Management based in Foster City. As the Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET), you will test software applications and features using test suites and scripts, perform anomaly reporting, software analysis, develop automated software test packages using various technologies, perform functional and regression testing, apply black box and white box testing techniques and conduct software development data validation functional and performance testing.
“Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.”
The Test Engineering team in VisaNet Integrated Payment (VIP) delivers quality services and solutions using best-in-class processes, methodologies, and technology with our worldwide workforce. We are an integral part of delivering projects that support the World Wide Business Releases quarterly, monthly and weekly projects and maintenance work, as well as multiyear infrastructure projects that introduce new programming logic via, C++ and Object Oriented code. We also support and work with other peer Test Engineering organizations on integration, downstream testing to ensure no defects affects production processes.
The Switching Systems Test Engineering team is committed in leveraging innovative technologies to enhance software quality and to accelerate time-to-market. We test approximately 800 to 1000 changes to our systems in any given year while collaboratively maintaining a better than 99.7 percent fail safe percentage to an authorization system that supports up to 40,000 transactions per second. Visa has one of the most visible and most used comprehensive payment systems in the world. It is an exciting time for any professional to join the Network Processing Test Engineering team.
The Staff. QA Engineer, Switching systems Test Engineering, will be based in Foster City, California and will report to Visa's Network Processing Test Engineering Management based in Foster City. As the Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET), you will test software applications and features using test suites and scripts, perform anomaly reporting, software analysis, develop automated software test packages using various technologies, perform functional and regression testing, apply black box and white box testing techniques and conduct software development data validation functional and performance testing.
Design and develop test plans and functional test cases from business requirements and conceptual documents with a focus on coverage, performance and automation.
Collaborate with the Development, Product and System Architecture teams to analyze, debug and resolve design and code issues
Designing and implementing C# based test automation solutions
Create, update, maintain and execute automation suites (using Mainframe and Open system based technologies) and other testing tools as needed for use by QA.
Enhance, maintain existing automation test tools based on REXX, C#, VB.Net.
Investigate bugs using various available tools and logs
Establish and maintain structured testing methodology, especially around automation.
Respond to inquiries from users and technical support regarding functions and operations of software programs
Identify process improvements, error trends and/or the root causes and make recommendations for remedies to colleagues and management.
Support cross-functional teams in integrated test efforts.
Report project status and issues to Project Managers and Management
Implement standard processes, tools, and metrics to deliver large-scale projects from inception to conclusion that meet quantifiable business objectives.
Estimate, prioritize, plan, and coordinate testing activities
Participate in defining and communicating best practices.
Ideal candidate wants to help build a test automation practice and make a difference.
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree.
- Experience on application development on Linux and Windows are required.
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- 3-6 years of experience in software development or writing complex test automation for enterprise applications.
- Strong programming and SW design skills in C#, Java and other OO language
- Experience in Windows Client-Server architecture and programming
- Experienced in industry best practices in SW development processes: Unit testing, OO design, code reviews etc. Understanding of reusable coding techniques
- Experience in REST API testing
- Experienced in REXX and/or REXX PIPE coding for use in Automation scripts
- Good understanding of Quality Assurance processes and methodologies
- Experience in writing clear, concise and comprehensive test plans and test cases
- Proven understanding of white box, grey box and black box testing techniques
- Strong experience in designing and developing Automation framework for Functional, Load, Regression and Performance Testing.
- At least 5 years of experience in Automation /Tool development and scripting abilities using C# in .Net Environment.
- Object oriented Programming concept with strong Programming skill Experience in C++ and Java
- Experience testing Mainframe based applications and databases is a plus.
- Knowledge of web technologies such as JSON, SOAP, XML, HTML, and CSS
- Knowledge of Postman and Groovy scripting will be a plus
- Excellent problem solving, analytical and technical troubleshooting skills
- Strong ability in root cause analysis of issues, resolving testing issues, and driving issues to closure.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Must be a self-starter who is highly organized, hands-on, and a team player
- Demonstrated ability to work well with a globally distributed team in a high performance organization.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize work and maintain focus
- Proven ability to deliver quality results in a busy and dynamic business focused environment
- Familiarity with zTPF and IBM S/390 Assembler Language.
- Experience with relational databases (Oracle, MS SQL, or MySQL) will be a plus
- Familiarity and knowledge of ISO 8583 and XML messaging
- Comprehensive knowledge of VISA business and Payment applications preferred
- Experience with Visual Studio's Coded UI module
- Implementing solutions using Jenkins or some other CI tool
- Good to have - Experience using version control repository and source code management products such as GitHub, TFS etc. and other tools like Jira, SharePoint, Wiki and Jenkins etc.
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during and beyond core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law