Staff Network Engineer
- Ashburn, VA, USA
As the world's leader in digital payments technology, Visa's mission is to connect the world through the most creative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses, and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company's dedication to innovation drives the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and fuels the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
At Visa, your individuality fits right in. Working here gives you an opportunity to impact the world, invest in your career growth, and be part of an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are a global team of disruptors, trailblazers, innovators and risk-takers who are helping drive economic growth in even the most remote parts of the world, creatively moving the industry forward, and doing meaningful work that brings financial literacy and digital commerce to millions of unbanked and underserved consumers.
You're an Individual. We're the team for you. Together, let's transform the way the world pays.
The global network and security engineering group is responsible for the strategy, architecture, design, support, and reliability of Visa Inc.'s commercial networks. Network Engineering also shares responsibility with information security for network access and security compliance of all networks. You will be responsible for the design, implementation, and support of IP networks for Visa's global commercial network infrastructure—your role in particular will be to do just this for our commercial customers. Our problems are complex, and you will be working to solve them and implement creative solutions. You're an experienced professional and we'll assume you will reach out if you need additional guidance, but otherwise, be pretty well self-managed. We are collaborative and communicate openly by nature so opportunities for mentorship are plentiful on this team
- Plan, design implement, and support network systems of moderate complexity in the commercial network environment.
- Support WAN connections and figure out circuit capacity requirements for the Visa Global Commercial client networks
- Provide client capacity planning support consisting of data analysis, requirements verification, and providing client recommendations
- Work closely with project and account managers to support all client network requirements
- Provide network design documentation to project teams, peers, and network support organizations
- Provision new client institutions by completing the necessary network updates and providing technical assistance to the membership in support of network changes
- Perform third-level support within Visa to resolve network issues and support the implementation of new network solution
- Provide engineering recommendations to Visa regional and product representatives as requested.
- Conduct product evaluation and testing, and support application development teams.
- Support change management processes for the commercial networks environment
- Support maintenance window activities on the commercial networks when required.
- Build and sustain relationships with global teams and third parties to address network development and support issues
- Participate in the development, testing and QA functions to ensure project delivery
- Provide technical support to ensure timely problem resolution
- Work with the Information Security Office to ensure Visa security requirements are met, and provide technical assistance for investigation and analysis of security alerts
- Provide recommendations to management team to increase effectiveness of organization and technology solutions
- 4 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD degree
- IP networking understanding and knowledge of technologies such as MPLS, VPN, ATM, and Frame Relay are necessary
- Deep understanding of network hardware including validated experience with Cisco networking devices (A Cisco certification is preferred)
- Experience and expertise with IP routing protocols including EIGRP, OSPF and BGP plus knowledge of Cisco encryption technologies (IPSec, SSL), standby protocols HSRP and VRRP, and network address translation (NAT) experience
- Experience administering enterprise IP networks in critical 24x7 production environments
- 3 years related experience in infrastructure/network environments and crafting, planning, documenting and implementing LANs and WANs using the latest technology
- Strong planning, organizational, and analytical skills
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills including effective written and verbal communication skills
- Solid grasp of TCP/IP network protocols, including common application protocols
- Experience in high-availability networks in load-balanced, n-tier application environments
- Experience leading moderately complex cross regional projects, including planning, documentation, and implementation
- Solid grasp of network and system security principles and techniques
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and commitments in an environment that requires multitasking among multiple concurrent projects while also handling interrupts
- Experience in the financial and/or e-commerce business desired
- ITIL certification preferred
· Solid grasp of network and system security principles and techniques
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and commitments in an environment that requires multitasking among multiple concurrent projects while also handling interrupts
· Experience in the financial and/or e-commerce business desired
· ITIL certification preferred
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.