- San Francisco Bay Area, California, us
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind – making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do. Our VisaNet network is capable of handling over 65,000 transaction messages per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks.
From the world's major cities to remote areas without banks, people are increasingly relying on digital currency along with mobile technology to use their money anytime, make purchases online, transfer funds and access basic financial services. All of which makes people’s lives easier and helps grow economies. Behind the Visa brand are our talented employees who continuously raise the bar with innovative solutions and products that deliver the convenience and security of digital currency to more people all over the world.
This position is for an in-house attorney who will be a member of the Legal Global Client Management group, and the primary legal advisor to the Visa Consulting and Analytics (VCA) team. We are looking for a motivated individual, who can work independently, and will provide thought leadership and pragmatic legal guidance to one of the fastest growing business teams at Visa.
VCA provides consulting and solution services for Visa’s most strategic network clients around the globe, including financial institutions, processors and merchants. Drawing upon its expertise in strategy consulting, data analytics, brand management and the overall payments industry, VCA works closely with Visa clients to help drive critical initiatives, find new opportunities and solve their most pressing strategic business problems.
This role is based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Providing general legal oversight of VCA’s consulting work as it continues to expand the breadth of its substantive consulting services as well as its geographic scope beyond the United States;
- Drafting and negotiating the contracts/SOWs that govern VCA’s services;
- Working closely with senior leaders on the VCA team to properly balance potential legal, regulatory, and brand risks against competing business objectives while providing legal advice and guidance regarding VCA’s strategic initiatives and growth strategies;
- Providing legal review and approval of the presentations and other day-to-day work product and content created by VCA and develop guidelines and procedures to help streamline the process;
- Coordinating reviews with internal subject matter experts; and
- Occasionally giving legal guidance and support on other non-VCA related legal matters, strategic initiatives and operational/business issues arising out of Visa’s North America business division.
- Juris Doctorate degree from a top law school with strong academic credentials
- Current member in good standing of the California Bar
- 4-7 years of relevant experience in top law firm and/or in-house environments preferred
- Background and knowledge of some or all of the following: the payment services industry and related credit and debit processing industries; the legal and regulatory landscape governing, in particular, credit and debit cards (including, fair lending, consumer finance law, privacy, and TILA/Reg Z and Reg II); intellectual property law; and/or antitrust and competition law
- Superior analytical, problem solving and writing skills, and some experience drafting and negotiating commercial transactions is preferred
- Self-starter who can work independently with limited supervision, effectively and collegially on a small legal team
- Versatility and ability to successfully prioritize and oversee a large number of matters
- Strong people skills with proven ability to build effective working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management, and work on cross-functional teams on complex business initiatives
- Developed business acumen, with ability to understand the company’s business interests and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in a fast-paced environment
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.