Associate Level Design Director (f/m/d)
- Flexible Working Organization: Hybrid
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft Berlin is home to nearly 150 people, making up several teams dedicated to deliver AAA excellence and innovation across a wide portfolio of games and technologies.
As an Assistant Level Design Director, you'll help plan a content-rich world, and guide a team of level designers in bringing its quests and locations to life. As the connection between the design vision and your team members, you’ll clearly communicate information that will allow each one to grasp the intended experience you’re collectively trying to achieve. Throughout production, your team will rely on your technical and creative expertise to navigate the level design process – and overcome any obstacles that come their way. While your designers focus on their areas of ownership, you’ll pay attention to the larger picture. You’ll ensure that every mission and place seamlessly combine to create an engaging journey for players to discover.
What you will do:
- Collaborate with core team members to develop the overall design vision.
- Brainstorm and research to plan the mission & world guidelines.
- Help outline the gameplay experience (landmarks, encounters, flow, rhythm, tension, pacing, variety, etc.).
- Participate in prototyping to experiment with designs & explore opportunities.
- Meet with your team to reinforce the design vision, set benchmarks, tackle setbacks, etc. •
- Review and provide feedback on integrated work and gameplay features to achieve quality.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints to align all technical, design, graphic, and narrative features.
- Keep the core team up to date on progress and feasibility.
- Find solutions to issues uncovered by play testers and cross-functional teams (get to the root of problems to solve them).
What you bring:
- A college diploma in Game Design or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset).
- At least 5 years of experience in the video game industry or other relevant experience + 2 years of leadership.
- Knowledge of game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) & their limitations, 2D art tools (e.g. Photoshop), and 3D software (e.g. 3DS Max, Maya, or ZBrush).
- A highly collaborative, innovative, creative, and empathetic spirit.
- Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility.
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, presentation, and mentorship skills.
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it.
What to send our way:
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience and skills and any games shipped.
- A cover letter including your earliest starting date, expected salary and why you would like to join us.
- Samples of your work or any supporting documentation you find relevant,
What we offer:
- Relocation support: We offer financial support in form of a cash allowance and assistance with accommodation search and settle-in support via our relocation partner, for international candidates we offer visa assistance
- Ubisoft Blue Byte Academy: We offer multiple opportunities for you to discover your full potential and develop yourself in various areas. Guest speakers from the industry, workshops, and access to our training and development platform as well as to our in-house library
- Discounted and free games: Discount on employee game orders & free Ubisoft games on Ubisoft Connect
- Hybrid work model: Provides the flexibility to combine working from the studio and your home within Germany
- Monthly Mobility Budget: 80€ per month that can be used on bicycle lease, parking spot rental or public transportation ticket
- Up to 350€ childcare support per child per month
- Company Pension Scheme: We offer an attractive company pension scheme
- Gym subsidy: We contribute 50% (up to a maximum amount of 25€) towards the monthly cost of a gym membership of your choice
- English and German online lessons for free: Good to know: Our main language in the studio is English
- 26 days paid vacation per year
- Corporate Benefits web portal: Employee discount program for affiliated retailers, shops, and service providers
We offer a highly motivating challenge for team players interested in showing personal initiative in an innovative and international company. If you are passionate about video games and would like to join an industry leader - please apply via our career portal.
For further information, please check https://berlin.ubisoft.com/en/.