Manager, Software Engineering - ExamSoft (USA Remote)
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
100% REMOTE POSITION (MUST BE U.S. BASED)
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
ExamSoft, a Turnitin company, is seeking a Manager of Software Engineering to lead a high performing front-end/back-end team and drive development, coding and programming projects and changes for ExamSoft, ensuring that all code produced and delivered by the team meets the brief/pitch and is to the highest quality standards.
This position will be managing a team of 10+ engineers who will be working on products such as Turnitin’s Enterprise Portal and a variety of core micro-frontend and related micro-services that will be shared across our entire product line, collaborates cross-functionally with people from Product, UX/Research, DevOps and other engineering/worktrack teams in order to deliver solutions that support our strategic company goals, using innovative technologies that maximize our productivity and help our company grow.
What You’ll be Doing:
- Provide hands on leadership of the team, setting goals and driving performance.
- Collaborate with Peers and team to define, develop and implement best practices and procedures.
- Partner with QA testing, UX, PMO, Engineering Leaders and product management to ensure on-time delivery of high quality features and to ensure resources are applied appropriately and cross-departmental issues are addressed.
- Provide technical leadership and architectural oversight as necessary. Be practical enough to strike a balance between doing things ‘perfectly’ and doing things ‘well enough to ship’.
- Analyze and utilize quality metrics across development projects
- Take passionate ownership of the software your team builds, and the way that they build it. Take pride in both the quality of the code we produce and on our commitment to improving our processes along the way.
- Promote a healthy culture, shaping and evangelizing engineering standards and best practices to improve team productivity.
- Providing and environment of openness and transparency while sharing your opinions and speaking up when you think we could be doing something better than we’re doing it now - tactfully and empathetically to communicate continuous improvement opportunities in a way that brings people along instead of distancing them
- Mentor, coach and develop the careers of a talented group of engineers
- Provide development opportunities for the team to broaden and enhance their skill sets, working with the team to ensure they have Individual development plans to stretch and grow their skills
- Identify opportunities for improvement by challenging the status quo and defining alternative and creative solutions
- Stay up-to-date with new tools and development strategies while bringing recommendations for change and innovation to leadership and own team.
- Ensure the team has great communication across the organization and are up to date with the vision and mission of the company.
- Be a proactive team player and communicator - both to your teammates and our collaborators from other engineering teams, product, customer support, sales, you get the picture. Our work impacts a lot of people, and there are a lot of stakeholders who need to maintain context alongside us as progress / decisions are made.
- Take part in projects as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related discipline OR relevant work experience
- 3+ years hiring, managing and mentoring quality/software engineering staff
- Experience building and architecting highly scalable front-end/back-end applications. (AngularJS, Java, AWS)
- Strong knowledge of software methodologies, tools and processes
- Experience working and collaborating with teams across multiple time zones and geographies.
- Experience working collaboratively with cross-functional Agile teams.
- Excellent organizational communication and leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proactive working style with the ability to adapt to change.
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and the LGBTQ+ community, regardless of age, gender, religion, marital or veterans status.