Senior Machine Learning Engineer - Tooling
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Portland, United States
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, available and accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
We are looking for a machine learning engineer to join our Machine Learning Modeling Tools (MLMT) team and help build Cash App. The MLMT team is focused on building/enhancing tools, libraries, frameworks, developer environments, etc. for ML modeling workflows. The role is cross functional working with Data Science, Machine Learning (ML), and Engineering teams.
You will be covering a wide variety of problems, from Risk to Growth to Lending; You will also be working closely with other Engineering teams across the company. You will also work very closely with the members of your team to identify new and large opportunities that will shape our ML roadmap & strategy. We are looking for someone who will thrive in a fast-paced environment, be very hands on, and operate independently.
- Design and build services and tooling that support all of our ML and Data Science teams
- Work cross-functionally with product, platform, security, and data engineering teams to unlock new machine learning applications
- Develop prototypes and partner with ML teams to encourage adoption of new tools and technologies
- Proactively identify new opportunities and future needs of our ML teams
- Lead by example by applying ML and engineering best practices
- Stay up-to-date with the latest techniques in machine learning and foster a culture of learning within the organization
- Help shape Cash App’s ML capabilities and strategy
- 3-5+ years of a combination of engineering and machine learning industry experience
- An advanced degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or a related technical field
- Knowledge of and experience with a range of machine learning algorithms, tools, and platforms
- Intellectual curiosity and a passion for Cash App’s mission of economic empowerment
Technologies we use and teach:
- Python (and its data analysis and machine learning libraries / frameworks)
- GCP, AWS
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.