Country Lead (Remote, Japan)
- Tokyo, Japan
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: Asia
- Department: Sales and Account Management
Shopify empowers more than 1 million merchants from all over the world to succeed at entrepreneurship. We're with our merchants each step of the way to help them start, and scale their businesses while allowing them to sell through numerous channels.
The world needs more Shopify: if you are driven by new challenges, hustle and great growth opportunities this is the place to be!
Here at Shopify we are working towards our mission of making commerce better for everyone and empowering entrepreneurship, everywhere.
We are looking for a Country Lead to accelerate our growth in Japan. This is the most exciting opportunity to develop and lead our market strategies in Japan and grow Shopify’s presence in the market even further as well as elevate our merchants' experience.
About the role:
As the Country Lead of Japan, you will be collaborating with all team members in Japan who are in commercial and partner-oriented roles as well as enterprise-oriented roles, meaning you will be able to influence not only how to bring our products to market but also help Shopify engineer the best possible experience for merchants and partners in Japan. There are only a few times in our lives when we will truly have the opportunity to make a huge impact and use our skills to contribute at a global scale. This is what we do every day at Shopify.
Our team is made up of people who go above and beyond every single day. We’re growing quickly, so there are plenty of opportunities to learn and advance. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to be your authentic self, and the chance to work with some of the best in the business. All of that for the goal to promote entrepreneurship and help merchants thrive no matter where they are in their journey to independence.
[THIS POSITION WILL BE BASED IN JAPAN]
What do you do here?
- Your job will be to make Shopify the leading commerce platform in Japan for entrepreneurs, SMB’s and Enterprise customers, meaning you will execute and further develop our local strategy to achieve that.
- You will help to grow our local team of high performing individuals across a variety of go-to-market functions including: Partnerships, Business Development, and Enterprise teams. All members report to individual leads and might not report directly to you.
- You will grow our brand locally by driving high impact partnerships and representing Shopify as the local spokesperson collaborating with our local and international Marketing and Public Relations teams
- You will do business analysis, generate insights, do business planning and manage
- You will work cross functionally and globally across markets representing the Japan market.
- You will be a member of the APAC SLT and be the cultural ambassador of the Japan Team.
Who are you?
- You worked in the E-commerce / Internet industry, and have a strong understanding of the Japanese e-commerce ecosystems for import, export, payment systems, logistics & most recent technologies
- You have experience in management, consulting, project management, business development in a top tier consultancy, software company, startup or a similar organization. Your experience in SaaS is a plus.
- You have a passion for people development and building leadership capabilities in your organisation
- You have hired and coached high performing, cross-functional individuals performers across multiple domains of expertise including
- You have demonstrated strong stakeholder management skills in key projects across internal functions and with external partners and possess the ability to work with a diverse set of people.
- You have been accountable for a P&L: Setting and meeting financial targets, headcount planning, budgeting and reporting. .
- You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and dig deep into complex problems.
- Must be a native speaker of Japanese with high English fluency
- You have experience working for a global company and are excellent in communicating with executive leadership on the status of your country's progress.
- You have an entrepreneurial mind; if you’ve started a business of your own before, that would be great.
- You believe in leading by influence, not authority.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.