Pastry Cook- New Restaurant Opening
- Halifax, NS, Canada
A new addition to the East Coast, Freehand Hospitality is currently developing several unique chef-driven concepts in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia. Launching throughout 2021 and 2022, our diverse portfolio of restaurants and bars will showcase a wide array of cooking styles—from upscale Maritime dining to casual Latin fare. Merging together globally inspired techniques with treasured Atlantic Canadian ingredients, along with warm and genuine hospitality, we are excited to contribute to the future of the region’s vibrant culinary scene—one bite at a time.
The Pastry Cook will have the ability to create unique offerings for our guests. The candidate will assist in maintaining pastry standards and will help to produce a strong focused dessert program which will include pastries, desserts and confections.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in the day-to-day activities of the pastry kitchen team
- Lead by example as a hands on cook ensuring the quality and consistency of all products served.
- Ensure that all food is prepared to the standards as set out for the Executive Chef and Chef de Cuisine
- Control food costs by maintaining accurate records of all food ingredients for pastry
- Ensure that all menu items have their recipes recorded, costs tallied and updated on an ongoing basis
- Ensure that food waste is kept to a minimum
- Follow all operating procedures and identify and correct any organizational problems that impact the effectiveness of the operation
- Ensure that all health, safety and cleanliness standards are adhered to and correct any deficiencies
- Handle all special requests and guest allergies to ensure guest health and satisfaction
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned or required
- Minimum of two years progressive experience in a pastry capacity
- Knowledge of new trends in presentation and preparation
- Proven ability to work well with a team, and as an individual
- Culinary degree/diploma an asset
** We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only suitable candidates will be contacted to continue the application process. **