Youth Outreach Coordinator (Zonal) - Uganda - ICYD Activity (Jinja)
- Jinja, Uganda
Education Development Center (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work. EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
1. Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
2. Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
3. Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/OVC’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
Reporting to the Senior Zone Manager, the Youth Outreach coordinator will provide technical support and monitoring to youth-serving grantee organizations (YSOs). The grants will fall under two tracks:
· Track 1: Alternative & Accelerated Education Grants: focus on preparing out-of-school youth to return to grades 5-7 through accelerated catch-up programs.
· Track 2: Workforce Readiness & Soft Skills Grants: focus on out-of-school at-risk youth and OVC, youth transitioning out of pediatric HIV care, and HIV+ young parents/household heads, in alignment with USAID/Uganda’s youth strategy and other ICYD project objectives.
As a member of the ICYD Activity team at the zonal level:
· Contribute to ICYD’s youth work by liaising with EDC’s home office Youth Technical Advisor, ICYD Grants Manager and ICYD youth focal points at national level and providing technical guidance and support to youth-serving YSOs implementing activities under Tasks 1 and 2, including in planning and implementation of accelerated learning programs, work readiness training, financial literacy and VSLA models, and work-based learning activities;
· Conduct regular monitoring of all project activities implemented by YSO grantees;
· Coordinate with ICYD’s monitoring, evaluation & learning team to monitor relevant project indicators;
· Participate in surveys and impact assessments related to youth return to school and/or work readiness preparation;
· Conduct quarterly and yearly planning with YSO grantees, and contribute YSO grantee plans and strategies to an integrated zonal level project work plan;
- Review progress against the work plan on monthly, quarterly basis with national and zonal project teams;
- Prepare written reports on project activities and results on a monthly and quarterly basis;
- Document and share achievements and best practices to improve programming;
· Conduct these and other tasks as required in support of ICYD Activity goals.
BA and 4 to 5 years of directly relevant experience required; additional technical or collegiate education desirable.
Skills and Experience:
· A minimum of 4 years’ experience in education, accelerated education, OVC work readiness training, entrepreneurship, financial literacy/VSLAs, youth livelihoods, and/or youth development;
· Experience building technical capacity of local youth-serving organizations through coaching and supportive supervision;
· Experience conducting training for YSOs and other stakeholders;
- Understanding of the Ugandan education, youth livelihoods, and out-of-school youth context;
- Understanding of best practices in positive youth development approaches;
- Demonstrated experience monitoring project activities and managing for outcomes;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, prioritizing multiple tasks;
- Ability to verbally communicate in an engaging manner and write clearly and concisely;
- Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders;
- Ability to work within a cross-cultural setting with tolerance and respect and negotiate diplomatically;
· Knowledge of/experience with USAID-funded projects preferred.
*This is a Zonal position. Preference will be given to locals based in the respective location of the ICYD location (Jinja).
Fluency in English is required.
Knowledge of Ugandan local languages is an additional advantage.
Job closing date: August 15, 2021
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Note: EDC doesn’t solicit for money from applicants at any level of the recruitment & selection process