Social Media Strategist
- Waltham, MA, USA
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high-quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
EDC has an opening for a full-time Social Media Strategist who will be responsible for creating an organizational social media strategy with clear goals for unifying the EDC social media presence (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Glassdoor, etc.) and raising EDC’s external profile. This position will also contribute to writing for EDC.org or EDC publications as needed.
The Social Media Strategist will be based in the Office of Communications, which is part of the President’s Office. This position will report to the Managing Editor. A key component of this role is to work closely with EDC’s Director of Human Resources to raise EDC’s visibility through social media, with the goal of attracting top talent, driving traffic to our job postings, and providing an interactive way to communicate with our current employees, many of whom are remote.
The Social Media Strategist is responsible for leading the development and execution of a variety of complex social media and writing projects for internal and external audiences. The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies and procedures.
The Social Media Strategist:
- Creates and publishes content for EDC social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Glassdoor, EDC blog, and other). Ensures consistent tone, voice, and style across all platforms.
- Develops a regular publishing schedule and responds to social media inquiries.
- Proactively partners with staff in EDC programs to determine specific or general subject material to be developed for publication and to maximize social media efforts.
- Stays abreast of social media trends, tools, and best practices, and suggests new features that keep pace with these trends. Advises editorial team on possible story ideas related to emerging trends.
- Works to increase engagement among EDC audiences. Monitors social media channels and tracks their effectiveness. Creates and presents metrics reports and recommends improvements.
- Assists in the development and execution of strategic communications and writes occasional articles and marketing or promotional pieces for the EDC website (EDC.org).
- Selects or recommends graphics to illustrate social media content. May interact with freelance writers or editors, graphic artists, multimedia specialists, publishers and printers, guiding and reviewing quality.
- Develops or assists in developing short videos to accompany content.
The Social Media Strategist also:
- Provides technical guidance on social media and may train or coach less experienced staff
- Works independently on problems or assignments of large scope, complexity, or impact, requiring review of various intangible factors
- Keeps management informed of the status of issues and projects
- Applies style and editorial rules and expertly uses electronic editing tools
- Facilitates teamwork and engages collaboratively in feedback
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Specific requirements follow:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- 5–7 years related experience with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.), writing, and communications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A solid understanding of communications and marketing for nonprofit or educational organization
- Strong knowledge of Word, Google Analytics, Hootsuite, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in the application of communication and marketing principles
- Demonstrated analytical skill and experience in interpreting data and creating recommendations
- Experience in photography or videography desirable
To be considered, please submit a cover letter with your application explaining why you believe this position is a good fit.
Applicants are asked to apply directly via the EDC website (www.edc.org).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.