Director of Tax Enforcement and Analysis
- 1401 John F Kennedy Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What We Offer:
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs.
Opportunities in Tech - Don’t wait for the future, shape it.
Benefits - We care about your well being.
The Department of Revenue collects over $5 billion dollars from hundreds of thousands of taxpayers to support the School District of Philadelphia and City services and provides over $100 million in tax relief to a quarter million households. The Department of Revenue is seeking a Director of Tax Enforcement and Analysis to direct the City’s tax compliance program and develop and implement compliance strategies and policies. The successful candidate will utilize experience in tax compliance and data analytics to efficiently maximize collections from enforcement efforts.
Oversees the following units within the Department of Revenue:
- Tax Discovery – The identification of unregistered businesses and individuals and efforts to bring those entities into compliance. This past year, the Tax Discovery Unit made $12 million in assessments – a tripling in assessments compared to prior years in large part due to data matching with the IRS and other sources made possible by the data warehouse.
- Tax Audit – The identification of underreported liabilities of businesses and individuals, production of assessments, and efforts to bring those entities into compliance. This past year, the Tax Audit Unit made $22 million in assessments.
- Tax Clearance – Evaluation of current account status for individuals and businesses, resolution of problems and efforts to bring those entities into compliance. Tax clearances are required for entities doing business or seeking benefits from the City, such as zoning variances, properties acquired at Sheriff Sale, city employment and more. With a staff of 8 employees, the unit collects over $5 million dollars in outstanding taxes each year.
- Investigations – This unit assists Tax Discovery and Audit by performing field investigations to locate businesses and deliver legal documents. More than 5,000 businesses were visited this year.
- Each unit has a manager that reports to the Director of Tax Enforcement and Analysis. Combined, these units have a staff of 90.
- Return Mail- This unit assists the Investigations Unit by providing updated address verifications and processing undeliverable mail.
- Develops compliance initiatives and processes with the aid of predictive analytics via a data warehouse, along with a case management system, to identify optimal audit candidates and manage the audit process.
- Collaborates with the Law Department to ensure that assessments challenged in court are successfully litigated.
- Serves as a key member of the leadership team in developing tax compliance strategies, policies, and legislation.
- Ensures integrity of sensitive taxpayer information and data used to determine taxpayer liability.
- Directs a team of tax compliance professionals and others to ensure that the tax laws of the City are being properly applied when taxes are filed and supports business and taxpayer compliance and enforcement programs and initiatives.
- Represents the Department of Revenue at tax seminars and other public forums, presenting on the City’s tax structure and compliance program.
- Serves on a team of senior department professionals to implement a new integrated tax system.
- Tracks and reports on the activities and outcomes of the City’s Tax Enforcement efforts.
Qualifications (Education and Experience)
- Master’s degree with major course work in accounting, finance or taxation is preferred but not required
- Knowledge of laws and regulations relating to taxation
- Knowledge and application of tax and revenue ordinances, laws and regulations
- Experience developing and implementing compliance initiatives through a data-driven, evidence-based approach
- Experience in managing and tracking performance of a professional audit staff
- Knowledge of standard business accounting systems and general accounting practices
- Ability to establish effective relationships with staff, associate tax professionals, the public and their representatives
- Provide clear and effective oral and written communication
- Certification as a CPA is preferred but not required.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership and negotiation skills.
- Knowledge of tax policies, regulations and legislation.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of auditing and accounting.
- Knowledge of basic data analytics theory.
- Skill in developing tax compliance programs.
- Ability to interpret tax regulations, code and legislation.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work as a team leader and team member.
- Ability to problem solve creatively with stakeholders and staff
- Ability to make decisions quickly and accurately.
- Ability to manage and coordinate diverse groups toward a common goal.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships and develop partnerships.
- Able to perform efficiently under pressure.
- Ability to independently handle multiple tasks and/or projects simultaneously.
Salary Range: 103,500-$117,500
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- Employees are eligible for a 25% tuition discount program (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to [email protected] For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx