Full-Stack Developer (EN-ACE-AMM-2018-109-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you ready for a new challenge? Would you enjoy working on large-scale asset management platforms in one of the largest particle-physics experiments in the world? If so, come and join the team as a full-stack developer at CERN. Take part in the challenge!
This is a challenging role which requires configuration, customization and development of both mobile and desktop applications matching expressed user needs.
CERN has a large-scale asset management platform based on Infor EAM that currently manages information for nearly two million individually traced pieces of equipment and several million maintenance interventions. This platform is a strategic hub for asset management at CERN and is used 24/7 year round. CERN has gained world-class expertise in Infor EAM and is currently providing Open Source components for this software.
As a full-stack developer in the Asset & Maintenance Management (AMM) Section, you will carry out both analytic tasks as well as practical software development working closely with our support team and users.
- Participate in the system design and the information system architecture for the integrated asset management platform at CERN.
- Design and implement rich, interactive and responsive web applications for asset management related tasks.
- Take responsibility for system monitoring and general system management including deploying upgrades and patches.
- Provide interfaces and methodology for data exchange between applications.
- Take an active role in the common and continuous effort of improving both the services and tools provided.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computer science, or a related field.
- Experience in application design and development of systems using the Java Enterprise Edition stack.
- Working knowledge of relational databases.
- Experience using web services (SOAP/REST) and system integration methods.
- Experience in configuration and management of modern application servers.
- Testing, diagnosing and optimization of software: configuration, monitoring and tailoring of the system as well as applying patches and managing major system upgrades.
- Re-use, refactoring, integration and porting of existing software: definition and management of interfaces to the supported system notably using web services.
- Applications support: typically takes the form of investigating and resolving issues and providing information about the systems.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in one of the two/both languages.
- The ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 03.02.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-ACE-AMM-2018-109-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Computing Engineer
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further