Product Development Manager
- Redwood City, CA, USA
As the Product Development Manager, you will support the Director in all aspects of product development from initial concept, all stages of sampling to final approval of the production golden sample. You will be the key contact for functional partners, ensuring smooth information and workflow.
Our ideal candidate is both a highly creative and strategic thinker who can build a cohesive brand. S/he has experience in product development, specifically home furnishings. S/he is passionate about product, trend, brand, and customer. S/he will have excellent communication skills and the ability to work with a variety of people and will work closely with the VP of Product Merchandising and Director of Product Development.
This role will report to the Director of Product Development.
What you’ll do:
- Compile competitive research and maintain up-to-date information on the competitive landscape across all product categories
- Drive the ideation process by understanding historical sales and customer focus data and evaluating the competitive environment to identify emerging categories and market opportunities
- Provide product trend analysis and information to create on-trend, on-brand seasonal newness that will drive assortment breadth, depth and volume growth
- Review return rates and customer feedback to provide additional insight on existing products or to help inform new product development.
- Develop seasonal concept inspiration boards in collaboration with the merchant team
- Create initial physical specs and work with the merchant team to generate first cost targets for our vendors and to identify best vendors for development projects
- Organize and maintain seasonal spec files by category and by vendor for easy access and reference
- Institute process and maintain filing system for all merchant-pd activity including: competitive research, trade show photo recaps, travel photo recaps and vendor photo quotations
- Manage all vendor communications throughout the product development cycle providing clarity, guidance, instruction and feedback
- Maintain calendar, holding internal partners and vendors accountable to sample timing and development
- Develop product development tracking document to help monitor and track all developments by vendor
- Lead weekly PD-merchant meetings, updating current status, advising of potential areas of difficulty and outlining possible recommendations and/or solutions
- Track and review samples, providing feedback to vendor and communicating updates with the merchant team
- Maintain inventory and library of development samples, labeling all samples and updating tracking sheets to indicate progress and timing of next steps
- Ensure all final samples are approved on time and in accordance with calendar milestones
- Review all PIF data for product information accuracy
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in merchandising/product development
- Home furnishing background preferred
- Flexibility and adaptability; comfort with a “startup” mentality
- Forward-thinking and problem-solving mentality; sense of urgency, resolving and/or escalating issues as needed
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to build constructive and effective relationships with broad group of business partners
- Attention to detail, highly organized, deadline-driven and goal- and results-oriented
- Excellent written, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Highly literate in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
About Balsam Brands: Balsam Brands is a multi-brand eCommerce retailer with roots in holiday and home décor. We strive for excellence in everything we do and present a unique opportunity to those who are seeking to have a meaningful impact in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. We love to reimagine eCommerce and retail in ways that thrill our customers, and to leave a lasting impact on the world around us. We have fast-growing teams in the Bay Area, Boise, Manila, and Dublin.
The company's outward focus on building trusted consumer brands along with its internal focus on excellence and being a great place to work have propelled it to consistent, rapid growth.
- Balsam Brands in Forbes: http://bit.ly/balsamforbes
- Balsam Brands on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/balsam-brands/
Location: Redwood City, CA
Notes: This is a full-time, permanent position with benefits.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter and resume. Please include in your cover letter a dish that you would like to bring to one of our potlucks.
At Balsam Brands, we are dedicated to diversity in our dynamic and growing workforce and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, citizenship, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.