- 1107 E Marshall Ave, Longview, TX 75601, USA
At Wellness Pointe, everyone will receive an exceptional quality of care. The center has expanded into a multifaceted clinic that offers obstetrics, pediatrics, general medicine, family planning, and dentistry. Some of the other services offered by our well qualified staff include education, intervention, and management of the many social issues that impact our community. Everyone is treated in complete confidence. Medicaid, Medicare, and most private health insurance is accepted.
This is a professional staff position providing direct services to participants in the WIC program. In this role, the Nutritionist provides nutrition education, community referrals, breastfeeding education and support. They are responsible for determining the clients program eligibility based on nutritional/medical risk and assignment of the appropriate supplemental food package for qualifying women, infants and children.
• Assess income and nutritional needs to determine eligibility for WIC Program
according to Federal, State, and Local policies and procedures
• Deliver group and individual nutrition and breastfeeding education according to agency approved Nutrition Education Plan.
• Perform participant income and health screenings which includes obtaining ID, residency, and health history, measuring height, weight and length of WIC client and plotting on growth grid, calculating income and BMI, performing finger stick and determining conditions of nutritional need.
• Prescribe supplemental food package, assess need for breastfeeding pumps and supplies, and issues in accordance with Federal, State and Local policies and procedures.
• Screen immunization record to obtain immunization status.
• Refer participants to appropriate community, health and human service resources as needed.
• Participate in assigned health fairs, community events and projects and makes presentations to groups as assigned.
• Works at WIC sites as assigned.
• Perform other related support services needed by professional staff members.
• Carries out other duties as assigned.
Requires sitting, standing and walking for extensive periods of time. Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours. Requires frequent exposure to communicable diseases, body fluids, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment.
The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to work with a moderate noise level in the work environment is required.
The occupant may, at times, lift and/or move objects up to 30 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
• BS Degree in Nutrition
• One year of responsible experience in a public health or community nutrition program (may be waived).
• WIC program experience preferred
• Mental and physical health sufficient to meet the demands of the position.
• Must be able to adhere to all client related policies and procedures
• Requires a valid Texas Driver's License, appropriate driving record and auto liability
insurance that meets the minimum required by State of Texas statute.
• Knowledge of HIPAA compliance standards and all aspects of client privacy practices.
• Ability to establish professional relationships with clients, peers, supervisors and community organization members.
• Personal initiative combined with the ability to work independently and interdependently.
• Substantial knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office 2007 or newer (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, and Publisher), desktop publishing, and the Internet.
• Bilingual in Spanish/English (preferred)
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image.
• The ability to work independently and effectively under pressure.
• Superior organizational and problem solving skills
Wellness Pointe is an Equal Opportunity, 'Veteran Friendly' Employer.