- Basingstoke, UK
Fascinated by the future and captivated by technology?
Smart, driven and want to make a difference in the world?
You’ll fit right in.
Join a diverse team at Visa, where your individuality fits right in. We can provide the opportunity to shape the payments experience globally. Together, let’s transform the way the world pays.
Think you know us?
Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure digital payment network that enables individuals, businesses and economies to thrive.
Individuality fuels our brand and our global team – we’re proud that we are a talented team of 15,000 individuals with unique backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Therefore, we understand that you are much more than your day job. We encourage quality of life outside of the office, whether it’s taking advantage of agile work schedules or our wellness programs, Visa respects and encourages meaningful work/life balance for everyone. In addition, we offer market leading salary and have a fantastic benefits offering.
So, if you’re not satisfied with the status quo, we can satisfy your desire to explore new territory, giving you the runway to really make an impact, whilst connecting you with teams around the world in a truly inclusive culture that celebrates our uniqueness.
If you think you could support Visa as an Oracle DBA, we want to hear from you – together, let’s make Visa a great place to work.
What’s it all about?
As an engineer in this team, the individual will be involved in the build and run activities related to Oracle database technology and infrastructure. The role will contribute to solution engineering and support as well as being responsible for delivering database projects, maintaining running systems and performing problem analysis and troubleshooting. The individual should be well versed in database administration and engineering practices and principles. The individual will share the responsibility of overall database build, deployment and support. He or she will provide technical influence and subject matter expertise for the database team, responsible for solving complex problems and taking a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions. The role serves as a technical/functional specialist and must be able to work both as part of a team and independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
What we expect of you, day to day.
- Manage, support and maintain database technology and infrastructure, adhering to the architectural guidelines and policies.
- Database administration: for off the shelf and internally developed applications, ensure continuous 24x7 operation and availability in support of mission critical business applications and participating in on-call rotation.
- Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain Oracle databases in production and non-production environments.
- Support local/across the DC failover with High Availability Disaster Recovery environment with DG/OGG. Participate in Database Maintenance and DR activities.
- Write/maintain OS level scripts for DB automation and application maintenance.
- Provide technical expertise and hands-on support in consolidation and migration of databases to new hardware and platforms.
- Physical implementation of databases, storage structures, high-availability solutions, replication, and disaster recovery solutions.
- Proactive and reactive performance analysis, monitoring, troubleshooting and resolution of escalated Level 2 and Level 3 issues.
- Regular database capacity planning related to database growth and system utilization, trend analysis, predictive future database resource requirements, and the structured organized reporting of the same.
- Work closely with other infrastructure engineering, product development, business operations, and technical operations teams to ensure delivery of database services within the SLAs and performance targets.
- Adapt business requirements, model data, and develop database specifications, table and element attributes.
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and implementation of DBA tools to improve the effectiveness of tasks such as performance monitoring and
- tuning, recovery, and database change management processing.
- Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision.
Thinking about careers differently...
At Visa, we are passionate to offer our employees compelling career growth opportunities. As such, even if you do not have experience of this function there could be skills or experiences, which would transfer well. For this role, the key skills required are:
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology field or equivalent working experience
- Extensive DBA experience, managing Oracle databases, Versions 11g and onwards
- Mid-level Oracle GoldenGate experience, managing complex replication topology
- Strong understanding of Oracle database fundamentals
- Strong understanding of Oracle GoldenGate fundamentals
- Strong understanding of Oracle DataGuard fundamentals
- Strong understanding of Oracle database security management
- Should have strong Unix platform skills and understanding of network, storage, tiered application environments and security.
- Proficiency in writing PL/SQL procedures, functions and packages for administration and application support
- Strong knowledge of operating systems, Shell scripting, Perl/Python scripting is a plus
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Ability to lead technical team of DBA to accomplish complex projects
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex systems and database environment issues.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a complex organisation to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- Work experience in a Financial Institution will be preferred.
Think you have what it takes?
If you are interested in a career that will challenge and inspire you – we’d love to hear from you!
Diversity & Inclusion
Universal acceptance for everyone, everywhere, is not only our brand promise, it’s the foundation of our company culture. We foster a feeling of connectedness in the workplace, support diversity of thought, culture and background, fight for important initiatives like Equal Pay and actively work to eliminate unconscious biases that hold us all back.
By leveraging the diverse backgrounds and perspectives of our worldwide teams, Visa is a better place to work and a better business partner to our clients.