Assistant Buyer (Pittsburgh, PA based)
- Department: Merchandising
At rue21, we believe fashion should be fun and accessible to all. As a leading specialty retailer, we’re different, we’re unique—just like you. rue21 combines a shopping experience designed to fit the individuality of our customers with a community to foster love, advocate change and empower each other through what we wear and what we do. Join our team and be #YOUinrue.
Living Our Values
Inclusivity: rue21 embraces all of you. We promote individuality and celebrate our differences. All are accepted, respected and welcome. Integrity: We own our words, our actions, and our results. We set our standard high by thinking big. It matters how we show up and how we play the game. Collaboration: Together we are rue21. We listen and support each other and achieve our collective goals together. Curiosity: We don’t ask why, we ask why not? We are agile and are driven by new ideas and original thinking. We are passionate and believe anything is possible. Community: Our power is our people; our community of customers, associates and partners. We care, we connect, we listen and we deliver.
The Assistant Buyer contributes to rue21's results by supporting the Buyers in all product selection, price negotiation and purchasing decisions of the Merchandising Department. Manage formal communication i.e. purchase orders and changes thereon to vendor community.
What will you do? - Responsibilities
• Commits to supporting rue21’s vision, mission, and values of an inclusive environment and sets an example for their team or sphere of influence.
• Process all purchase orders, including coding and communicating the information to vendors.
• Work with vendors and buyers to support negotiation of PO terms including cost.
• Update PO system for retail changes, cost changes and extension dates.
• Intermediary between buyers and vendors on issues including cancellation of orders.
• Maintain and update Open-to-buy/recap sheets daily, weekly and monthly.
• Communicate with Distribution Center on problems related to order shipping issues.
• Analyze reports and make recommendation for merchandise re-orders.
• Review all reports to update Buyers and Director/VP
• Answer vendor inquiries.
What do you bring to the table? - Education and Experience
• One+ year experience in assistant buying preferred
• Buying internship preferred
• Prior retail experience preferred
• Individuals who do well in fast paced environments who are detail oriented and organized.
• Passion for fashion
• Relevancy in pop culture
• Inclusivity: our brand is inclusive and so is our team
• Evolving mindsets: team player who can drive a business forward
• Ability to operate independently while establishing strong working relationships with co-workers and cross-functional teams.
• Strong, professional and effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to foster a positive and motivating work environment, encouraging feedback and innovation.
• Self-motivated with critical attention to detail and deadlines.
• Ability to adapt well to change in direction and priority in a fast- paced and deadline-oriented environment.
• Great teammate. You know how to work with and influence those around you, and you don’t hesitate to roll up your sleeves and help when others need it.
• Engaging interpersonal and presentation skills.
• Efficient organization, prioritization, and time management skills.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to draw conclusions to make recommendations.
• High degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications.
- Communication – Effectively communicates with CEO, Board of Directors, leadership team, cross-functional peers, and all associates in field, store operations and visual merchandising teams; Actively listens to understand others and ensures the message is understood; Ensures important matters are shared with all appropriate parties; Communicates in a clear and concise manner, both verbally and in writing; Accepts and uses feedback to improve performance
- Collaboration – Demonstrates the desire and ability to work cross-functionally; uses a "we" focused approach; Resolves interpersonal conflicts constructively; Appreciates and leverages the strengths of others to accomplish goals.
- Proves to be an open-minded and inclusive leader.
- Holds Self Accountable – Holds self-accountable for measurable high quality, timely, and cost-effective results.
- People Centric – Exhibits strong listening skills; Has a fast paced, ever changing, people first mentality; Builds positive working relationships with internal and external business partners
- Initiative – Takes a proactive approach and goes beyond what is required to achieve goals
- Deliver – Results driven with high standards; Sets achievable goals, successfully executes, and can articulate solutions in a linear, easy to understand way; Searches for inefficiencies in processes and offers pertinent recommendations to improve
- Evolve – Strives to be original through thought and ideas; Displays genuine excitement around "new"
What’s in it for you!
Competitive compensation and bonus plan
Comprehensive Benefit Package
- Generous PTO offerings
- 401K Retirement Plan with company match
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Company sponsored Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account/Dependent Care
- Employee Assistance Program - Confidential support programs for associates and families
- 40% off full price merchandise in stores and on-line
- Perks at Work – Savings program on brands, travel, dining, and more
This summary of benefits is reflective of a range of those available and may not apply to all employees.