Buyer (Pittsburgh, PA based)
- Department: Merchandising
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
At rue21, we believe fashion should be fun and accessible to all. As a leading specialty retailer, we’re different, we’re unique—just like you. rue21 combines a shopping experience designed to fit the individuality of our customers with a community to foster love, advocate change and empower each other through what we wear and what we do. Join our team and be #YOUinrue.
Living Our Values:
Inclusivity: rue21 embraces all of you. We promote individuality and celebrate our differences. All are accepted, respected and welcome. Integrity: We own our words, our actions, and our results. We set our standard high by thinking big. It matters how we show up and how we play the game. Collaboration: Together we are rue21. We listen and support each other and achieve our collective goals together. Curiosity: We don’t ask why, we ask why not? We are agile and are driven by new ideas and original thinking. We are passionate and believe anything is possible. Community: Our power is our people; our community of customers, associates and partners. We care, we connect, we listen and we deliver.
The Buyer contributes to rue21’s results by being responsible for product development/selection, vendor negotiations, department/category strategies, fashion trend/forecasting and key decisions to drive the business in the Merchandising Department. Along with managing all communication of responsible categories with vendors and internal partners.
What will you do? - Responsibilities
- Commits to supporting rue21’s vision, mission, and values of an inclusive environment and sets an example for their team or sphere of influence.
- Coordinates requirements, specifications, timing, and distribution for merchandise selection
- Develop strategies and criteria for negotiations
- Evaluate competitive offerings to determine the overall best offer for a product/service
- Resolve quality problems with suppliers and user departments
- Lead and participate in cross-functional team meetings
- Manage and develop Assistant and/or Associate Buyers
- Develop/manage/evaluate relationships with other internal departments
- Build the Brands in all activities; inclusive of quality and timely execution
- Be customer centric, build the assortment focused around the customers point of view maintaining value and quality
- Maintain and update open-to-buy daily, weekly and monthly.
- Develop and present department/category strategies and assortments to Sr Buyer and Director/VP for alignment and sign off
- Communication – Effectively communicates with CEO, Board of Directors, leadership team, cross-functional peers, and all associates in field, store operations and visual merchandising teams; Actively listens to understand others and ensures the message is understood; Ensures important matters are shared with all appropriate parties; Communicates in a clear and concise manner, both verbally and in writing; Accepts and uses feedback to improve performance
- Collaboration – Demonstrates the desire and ability to work cross-functionally; uses a "we" focused approach; Resolves interpersonal conflicts constructively; Appreciates and leverages the strengths of others to accomplish goals
- Proves to be an open-minded and inclusive leader
- Holds Self Accountable – Holds self-accountable for measurable high quality, timely, and cost-effective results
- People Centric – Exhibits strong listening skills; Has a fast paced, ever changing, people first mentality; Builds positive working relationships with internal and external business partners
- Initiative – Takes a proactive approach and goes beyond what is required to achieve goals
- Deliver – Results driven with high standards; Sets achievable goals, successfully executes, and can articulate solutions in a linear, easy to understand way; Searches for inefficiencies in processes and offers pertinent recommendations to improve
- Evolve – Strives to be original through thought and ideas; Displays genuine excitement around "new"
What do you bring to the table? - Education and Experience
- Degree in Fashion Merchandising, Business or related field
- Five+ years' experience as Buyer
- Prior managerial/supervisor experience
- Partner with planning on creation and management of OTB
- Fashion forward and not afraid to be a trend starter
- Actively participate on Product development process
- Drive fashion trend and evolution of assortment
- Drive e-comm assortment and sales
- Partner with vendors to negotiate on cost, merchandise quality and delivery windows.
- Great teammate. You know how to work with and influence those around you, and you don’t hesitate to roll up your sleeves and help when others need it.
- Engaging interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Efficient organization, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills, and the ability to draw conclusions to make recommendations.
- Ability to operate independently while establishing strong working relationships with co-workers and cross-functional teams
- Ability to work with and influence senior management
- Ability to foster a positive and motivating work environment, encouraging feedback and innovation
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail and deadlines
- Ability to adapt well to change in direction and priority in a fast- paced and deadline-oriented environment
- Drive pricing and promotional strategies
- Curate assortment for different subsets of customers and stores
- Bring full vision of product story to life
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications
What’s in it for you!
Competitive compensation and bonus plan
Comprehensive Benefit Package
- Generous PTO offerings
- 401K Retirement Plan with company match
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Company sponsored Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account/Dependent Care
- Employee Assistance Program - Confidential support programs for associates and families
- 40% off full price merchandise in stores and on-line
- Perks at Work – Savings program on brands, travel, dining, and more
This summary of benefits is reflective of a range of those available and may not apply to all employees.