Engineering Program Manager - Data
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: Americas
- Department: Data Science and Engineering
Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work.
Having a unified vision, a North Star, is vitally important to ensure that we are all headed in the same direction. No matter the size or experience, we want to power every merchant’s experience. This is why we’re all here.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across the Americas where Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
We’re looking for an Engineering Program Manager to join the Shopify Data Platform Engineering team to help us shape the future of Data Platform Engineering, as well as help guide our next program manager hires.
Our team builds and maintains Shopify’s data infrastructure through tools, software, and data engineering. We make sure that Shopify, its merchants, partners, and internal teams have the data they need when and where they need it most.
You’ll help us develop, build and deliver better ways to distribute, use, and make decisions with data across our growing organization. You’ll be working in a collaborative environment with highly technical individuals and teams, with stakeholders that are versed in data and engineering practices and principles. This means getting deep into understanding data, engineering, and working with product management.
A Day in the Life of a Shopify Engineering Program Manager :
- Developing a deep understanding of our team's technical capacity and goals.
- Analyzing engineering systems to identify dependencies between sub-systems and teams so that teams are fast and effective.
- Managing relationships with our stakeholders/internal customers; customer and stakeholder management will be a key component of this role.
- Navigating projects between Data Platform Engineering and other teams across Shopify, which requires building high-trust relationships on both sides.
- Ensuring that all teams understand the larger goals by communicating and setting metrics accordingly.
Interested in applying? You should have experience with one or more of the following (don’t stress, we are not expecting experience in all of the following!):
- Delivering cross-team and cross-organization initiatives through project management and process design
- Delivering data product experiences using open source libraries
- Working with and managing a pipeline of customers
- Partnering with highly-technical teams and individuals
- Passion for building plans and leading teams towards impactful results
- Working understanding of how to build scalable and reliable systems
- A background in software development or a Computer Science/Software Engineering education
It’d be great if you have:
- Experience with a variety of big data technologies/concepts including: Flink, DBT, Kafka, Data Flow, Presto
- Experience with a variety of technologies, including: Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, or other PaaS technologies
- Experience with data reporting tools, including: Tableau, Mode, Superset, Streamlit or others
(Note: if some of this tech is new to you, that's okay! We realise that not everyone has worked with this stack before and provide opportunities for learning as you go.)
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.