Construction Operating Engineer (Multiple Locations)
- 45240 Business Ct, Sterling, VA 20166, USA
Schnabel was founded in 1959 in Washington D.C. by Harry V. Schnabel Jr.
His commitment to innovation and operational efficiency was driven by an intuitive understanding of what clients valued most — getting out of the ground to street level as quickly, safely and efficiently as possible.
Over 60 years later, and now with a national footprint, Schnabel still prioritizes innovation and operational efficiency as a proven pathway to success.
(This position is available in all seven of our regional locations in the states of MD, CO, GA, TX, CA, IL, & PA)
Operating Engineers install piling and tiebacks, for excavation support. Main skills required include safely and productively operating drills, cranes and excavation equipment as necessary for the installation of sheeting and shoring.
In addition to operating machinery, operating engineers may be responsible for handling, hoisting or moving objects, repairing and maintaining mechanical equipment, or running large pumps or air compressors. PPE will be required.
Job Responsibilities (not inclusive):
- Understands and able to signal others to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials
- Load, unload, or identify building materials, machinery, or tools, distributing them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans or specifications (rigging)
- Experienced and Knowledgeable in the operation and maintenance of heavy equipment such as: cranes for pile driving (familiar with riggings of swing leads for pile driving and drilling), caisson type or Bauer drill rigs and attachments such as core barrels, muck buckets, etc., tieback drill rigs similar to Hutte, Klemm, Airtrack, Hopto, etc., drilling in different soils conditions (open hole, cased, pressure injected, etc.), as well as other equipment such as excavators, forklifts, large air compressor, pumps, etc.
- Has knowledge of bench requirements for equipment and will not operate from an unstable bench
- Union affiliation or take necessary steps to join the union
Typical Physical Demands:
- Ability to climb, crouch, balance, and tolerate heights without fear due to nature of job typically outside with often uneven and/or muddy ground
- Must have the ability to exert heavy physical effort, handling average weight objects up to 50 lbs.
Schnabel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is fully committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Schnabel participates with EVerify.