Intern - Climate and Energy
- Washington, DC, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Office of VP of Global Program
- Exempt Status: non-exempt
Oxfam is a global organization working to end the injustice of poverty. We help people build better futures for themselves, hold the powerful accountable, and save lives in disasters.
Two of Oxfam’s core priorities are 1) ensuring adequate international finance is available to support developing countries in the fight against climate change; and 2) serving as a watchdog over the activities of the International Financial Institutions, ensuring their activities serve most directly in addressing poverty. At the confluence of these agendas are efforts to ensure that the international financial institutions both provide adequate finance to support efforts against climate change, and that they meet their stated commitments to do so.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
In pursuit of the above agenda Oxfam is seeking an intern to provide support for a dedicated project assessing the World Bank’s reporting of its climate finance. The intern will be responsible for assessing World Bank project reports according to a methodology developed by Oxfam. To whatever extent is possible the intern will also be involved in contextualizing this analysis and support in the writing of a final Oxfam report. Further to these responsibilities Oxfam America’s climate and research teams work on a broad array of issues and it is expected that the intern will be exposed to an array of thematic and institutional imperatives.
- Conduct analysis of World Bank project reports
- Support the contextualization of this analysis as well as the conceptualization and execution of the final report
- Support the work of the climate team as resources and the interests of the intern allow
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION
- Position should involve approximately 15 – 20 hours a week and will be paid (either via academic credit or salary).
- Have an interest in basic quantitative analysis and comfort working with spreadsheets.
- Be detail oriented and have a capacity for problem solving.
- Bring energy and fresh perspectives to the work of Oxfam’s climate and research teams.
- Have an appreciation for collaboration, in a diverse working environment where all people are treated with dignity and respect.
- Become familiar with and committed to Oxfam America’s mission and goals.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program
EXPERIENCE AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- Comfort reading technical reporting
- Comfort in the use of spreadsheets
- Experience with issues at the nexus of climate and development
- Specific experience in issues around energy, climate and development (preferred)
- Flexible, creative, and ability to problem solve
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Oxfam America is a Gender Just organization and an equal opportunity employer. We have a zero tolerance policy for any sexual harassment, exploitation, and/or abuse. We welcome all persons to apply and do not discriminate. We take measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
We are an E-Verify employer.