[2024-2025] KIPP NYC Leader Fellows
- Start Date: Next year opening
- Department: School Leadership
KIPP NYC Public Schools is a non-profit network of free, public charter schools that prepares students for success in college and life. In 1995 we started our first middle school, KIPP Academy, in The Bronx. Our goal was to graduate students with the strength of character and academic abilities needed to succeed in high school, college and beyond – and in so doing, to prove what is possible for all students. Today, our New York City network is comprised of eight elementary schools, nine middle schools, one high school, and KIPP Forward, a comprehensive support program for our alumni. KIPP NYC Public Schools currently serves more than 9,350 students and alumni, has a staff of more than 1,000, and continues to grow!
Thank you for your interest in the Leader Fellows Program. To complete your application, please create one Google Drive Folder (make sure permissions are set so that anyone with the link can view) and upload the required components below. To be considered a complete Leader Fellows application, there must be 6 documents if you’re currently coaching staff members, and 4 documents if you’re not currently coaching staff members. Please review the instructions for each portion carefully.
Please use the following naming conventions to save all required components:
- Google Folder:
- First Name Last Name / ProgramName 24-25
- Ex: Colette Perrine / LeaderFellows 24-25
- Application Components:
- ApplicationComponent_LastName_First Name_ProgramName_SY2425
- Ex: CoachingVideo_Perrine_Colette_LeaderFellows_SY242
Application Component A: Resume
1. Please upload to your Google Folder an up-to-date resume (and make sure the document has open viewing privileges) that includes all professional roles you have held, dates for each position, as well as key achievements and accomplishments. Please note: In order to be a competitive candidate for Leader Fellows, we ask that you have a minimum of two years of experience in a team leadership role (e.g., teacher leader, dean, assistant principal)
Application Component B: Essay
The Leader Fellows essay focuses on the following competencies: Self-Awareness, Cultural Competence, Impact & Influence, and Continuous Learning. Please make sure you connect each competency to at least one of the three questions below.
2. Please upload to your Google Folder a document (make sure the document has open viewing privileges) with a response to each of the following questions:
- Why do you want to enter the Leader Fellows program, and what experiences have led you to this stage in your developmental journey? (250 words or fewer)
- In reviewing the Leadership Readiness Criteria, what would your supervisor and/or colleagues say is your greatest strength? (250 words or fewer)
- In reviewing the Leadership Readiness Criteria, where would your supervisor and/or colleagues say you have the most need for growth? (250 words or fewer)
Applicant Component C: Student Performance Data & Reflections
The Leader Fellows data component focuses on the following competencies: Student Focus, Achievement Orientation, Critical Thinking & Problem Solving, and Decision Making. Successful applicants to the KIPP NYC Leader Fellows program have demonstrated their commitment to their students and can clearly communicate their results. Please make sure you connect each focus competency to the submission.
3. Please upload to your Google Folder a document (make sure the document has open viewing privileges) sharing the results you have achieved with students and/or improvements you have helped to make in your school community. As a leader on your campus, please include data from the subjects/grades/teams you managed. Your submission should include:
- The name of your school and the position(s) you held during the relevant years
- A summary of goals and outcomes
- A description of the work you implemented or supported
- Comparative results that demonstrate your achievements in relation to your school, district, city and state; if comparative results aren’t available, briefly explain why
- Trends in subgroups (by gender, race, IEP status, etc.) and potential solutions for closing the disproportionalities
- Your analysis of what led to the results
We strongly encourage you to include charts or graphs with clear labels that demonstrate your results.
Applicant Component D: Coaching Video, Notes, & Analysis
The Leader Fellows coaching video focuses on the following competencies: Impact & Influence, Instructional Leadership. Successful applicants to the KIPP NYC Leader Fellows program have demonstrated a commitment to coaching and an ability to drive outcomes through others. Please make sure you connect each focus competency to at least one of the three artifacts below.
Please upload the three following artifacts from a recent coaching conversation to your Google Folder:
4. A 10-15 minute video of you leading a feedback conversation with a staff member you coach. During the video, please capture:
- Any action step you give
- Any practice you facilitate
5. Any notes or other preparation materials for the meeting, including current goals for the staff member and data demonstrating progress towards those goals.
6. A response to the following, totaling 750 words or fewer: Tell us about your approach to developing this particular staff member.
- Why did you choose to focus on this staff member? What data led you to this decision?
- What was your goal and what was your plan to tackle this goal?
- What strategies were you trying to use?
- How are you monitoring progress?
- How will you know if you achieved your goal?
Alternative for applicants not currently coaching any staff members:
- Review the teaching video which matches the school level to which you are applying:
- Please upload to your Google Folder a document (make sure the document has open viewing privileges) with a response to the following, totalling 750 words or fewer:
- What are the most significant strengths and areas of growth for this teacher? What is your evidence?
- What specific action step do you have for this teacher to leverage strengths and to drive improvement? Why did you choose that action step?
- How will you support this teacher in developing the skill required to successfully execute your action step?
Please insert the link for your Google Drive Folder. Please ensure the permissions are set for us to have viewing access, and that all required components (4-6 unique documents) are included. By applying, you are acknowledging that you understand the prerequisite experience and meet preferred qualifications for Leader Fellows. We look forward to reviewing your application, and thank you for time and for investing in your leadership with KIPP NYC.
Please reach out to Colette Perrine([email protected]) with any questions!
- In order to be a competitive candidate for Leader Fellows, we ask that you have a minimum of three years of experience in a team leadership role (e.g., teacher leader, dean, assistant principal)
- Demonstrated success developing academic programs and academic culture
- Demonstrated success planning staff professional development and leading teams of teachers
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competence and anti-racism
- An analytical view of student progress towards standards
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
- Extreme flexibility to accommodate multiple priorities and a strong work ethic to accommodate high level of responsibilities
- Strong interpersonal skills that contribute to a collegial working environment and a healthy measure of the character traits we value: zest, grit, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude and a sense of humor.
- A passion for being part of a team-oriented, mission-driven school culture
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of students within our KIPP NYC communities
- Bachelor’s degree required
Compensation & Benefits:
KIPP NYC Leader Fellows will not receive any additional monetary compensation outside of their standard salary rate (based on current roles/responsibilities and salary bands).
KIPP NYC offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental and vision coverages. Other benefits include retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, life insurance and supplemental benefits offerings.
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
KIPP NYC LLC does not offer visa sponsorship or work authorization.
KIPP NYC LLC is an anti-racist organization that believes in the importance of being diverse, equitable, and inclusive. We are committed to creating a welcoming environment that includes employees with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving students and families throughout New York City. BIPOC, women, gender expansive, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
KIPP NYC LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. KIPP NYC LLC is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.