Senior Civil Engineer (SCE-2021-20-LD)
- Geneva, Switzerland
CERN is looking for a high-level profile of Senior Civil Engineer, in charge of managing all Civil Engineering (CE) project preparation activities within the Future Circular Collider (FCC) Feasibility Study (100 km tunnel and surface infrastructures with estimated construction cost of around 6 billion CHF for CE part only). In parallel, the senior civil engineer will provide strategic support to the Site and Civil Engineering (SCE) Department’s team (91 staff members, with ~30 civil engineers and civil technical engineers) collaborating with the Department Head, to manage the design and execution of flagship civil engineering projects at CERN.
On the FCC project the Senior Engineer will:
- organize and lead the Feasibility Study of the FCC project in its Civil Engineering part, this includes namely the development of plans for surface buildings, tunnel, landplot and access concepts; geotechnical and high-risk site investigation studies; risk analysis and mitigation plans;
- prepare and manage associated studies, industrial support and supply contracts;
- prepare and present reports on activities on the project CE part, in the framework of the project governance;
- ensure CE interface management to all other project partners, in particular towards technical coordination and technical infrastructures;
- contribute to the environmental evaluation process and other administrative processes, in close coordination with other relevant CERN teams;
- take part in interaction with local communities, local and national authorities and CERN member state representatives, public bodies and other external stakeholders;
- contribute to the development of organization models for a potential FCC construction project, to be decided after the completion of the feasibility study. This includes in particular the CE and technical infrastructure project organization and the optimization of procurement strategies and monitoring processes.
On the support to the SCE department, the Engineer will :
- guarantee the Department’s contribution to FCC, which relates to both leading specific work packages and providing service expertise in the domains of competence of the Department.
- support the strategic departmental plan for CE projects (short and long-term strategy, objectives, capacity, large investments and projects) in accordance with the Organization’s objectives, and oversee projects for major scientific infrastructures and flagship tertiary projects in the initial and execution phases.
- provide the user community, peers and management with technical expertise and advice, contributing to strategic orientations and technological choices for the civil engineering field.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of civil engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience in successful planning and managing of large CE projects with a volume of at least 500 MEuro for buildings, infrastructures and public works with full responsibility throughout the project lifecycle.
- Extensive experience in the design and/or execution of major underground civil engineering projects: tunnels, caverns, shafts.
- Extensive experience of interface management and coordination of different professions in large scale CE projects: designers and architects, structural engineers, HVAC engineers, electrical engineers, technical / legal / financial / environmental advisors, contractors, etc.
- Proven experience in CE procurement processes (strategy, selection of firms, call for tenders, etc.), administrative and environmental processes including dealing with national authorities, in particular in France and Switzerland.
- Proven experience with large CE international contracts and international standard contract references such as FIDIC.
The following will be considered as an asset:
- Proven experience in the design and/or construction of scientific facilities.
- Experience in projects in heavy regulated fields, e.g. nuclear construction.
- Design of underground structures
- Design of civil buildings
- Knowledge of underground structure construction
- Risk management
- Project management
- Bringing the Best out of People: encouraging ideas and initiatives from others; fostering collaboration and team cohesion. Promoting individual differences to build successful teams
- Creating Vision and Strategic Partnerships: participating, encouraging and actively supporting cross-functional and cross-departmental work and projects
- Leading with Strength and Credibility: making timely decisions that balance systematic analysis with decisiveness; dealing with difficulties in a timely manner
- Optimising Resources: planning activities, structuring the unit and assigning tasks and responsibilities in line with unit goals Involving key stakeholders at critical stages to ensure availability of resources
- Setting Direction: coordinating activities and focusing team on goals and objectives; monitoring progress of team towards agreed goals and taking corrective action when needed
Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 31.03.2021 at 12:00 CET (midday).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving license is required.
Job grade: 8
Job reference: SCE-2021-20-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Civil Engineer