Associate Director/Sr. Manager, Biogen Library and Information Center
- Cambridge, MA
- Department: Research & Development
- Region: US
The Associate Director/Senior Manager of the Biogen Library and Information Center directs all operations, team management, strategic vision, communication and functions of the library, ensuring consistent delivery of services, tools, and data resources.
- Establishes and owns the strategic direction for the BLInC organization, executes the annual strategy and vision in alignment with R&D and corporate goals. Identifies organizational library and information needs, defines strategic priorities and tactics required to meet these needs. Demonstrates thought leadership to raise the profile BLINC across the organization.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and manages library team. Manages team members including defining annual goals and targets in alignment with company and department goals, planning and delegation of projects; and supporting professional development and continuing education for all team members
- Manages global online information portals and systems, including assessment, licensing, deployment, vendor relationships, administration, and usage monitoring. Collaborates with user groups, stakeholders, and interacting departments to lead continuous improvement of library technologies.
- Prepares, monitors and maintains the library budget within +/-5% of target and ensure business continuity of resources. Identify cost and value tradeoff opportunities to improve library subscriptions by effectively analyzing usage metrics and cost for renewing journal subscriptions
- Innovates approaches in library management across communities of practice, business units, and networks and maintain awareness of emerging research in the field of knowledge and information management.
- Oversight of the annual engagement plan to promote the adoption of new systems and resources, identify new users and areas of improvement, and educate Biogen employees on resources and systems. Manages key stakeholder engagement and promotion of online resources and information services, through individual and group meetings and marketing efforts across multiple channels.
- Leads global user training programs, including identifying needs, coordinating with internal stakeholders and external vendors, and implementing processes for measuring effectiveness. Consistent evaluation of the library self-service model to ensure positive user experience.
- Ownership of the Biogen Copyright Policy. Serves as the subject matter expert for copyright law as it pertains to Biogen and its affiliates. Provides training and guidance on internal and external copyright usage.
- Oversees BLInC research services to support global Biogen by guiding projects and prioritization of library requests for research including driving efficiencies to improve services.
- Identifies and solves complex, operational and organizational problems as they relate to library resources and services by leveraging the appropriate resources within or outside the department.
- Controls and implements processes for continuous improvement by identifying opportunities to improve the management and delivery of information and intelligence across the organization. Analyzes the effectiveness of current processes, policies and procedures, and develops strategies to simplify, enhance and automate.
- 5-7 years of experience in corporate library setting and/or equivalent.
- Experience with cost center management and vendor partnership/management
- Proficiency with database searching, Microsoft Office, basic HTML and other library application software
- Biotech/Pharma experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of scientific publications, competitive intelligence resources and other business publication resources
- Experience of Copyright requirements a plus
- Excellent presentation skills required
- Ability to think strategically to maximize impact of the library and information center while maintaining library budget
- Excel at organizational outreach to teach colleagues about resources available in information center
- Experience leading a team and developing talent
- Demonstrated ability to form strong cross-functional working relationships.
- Consistent follow-through and ability to collaborate with colleagues, vendors and key stakeholders to drive execution of the library strategy and plan
- Bachelor’s degree
- Masters in Library Science or similar degree preferred
The Senior Manager of the Biogen Library and Information Center directs all operations, team management, strategic vision, communication and functions of the library, ensuring consistent delivery of services, tools, and data resources.