- Thornleigh NSW 2120, Australia
McDonald’s Australia is the largest quick service restaurant operation in the country. Fondly known as “Maccas”, we are famous in the global McDonald’s world for adding beetroot to our Aussie burgers and creating the world’s first McCafé in Melbourne. A household name in Australia for close to 50 years, we believe that our customers are the heart and soul of everything we do and make it our mission to make every moment count!
Could you be our next Property Lawyer?
With new restaurant openings contributing to 2-3% of the Australian business growth each year, our Legal Team plays an integral role in supporting our National Development Group from site identification, to construction, to restaurant opening (delivering anywhere from 20-30 new restaurants annually!). In order to drive this development we are searching for a self-motivated Property Lawyer/ In-House Legal Counsel to operate as the expert adviser for commercial leasing/acquisitions.
We work between our Head Office, based in Thornleigh, and our city office space in Walsh Bay. McDonald’s allows for a lot of flexibility and there will be an ability to work from home once you are settled in your role.
What can you expect on a day-to-day basis?
- Providing legal support to the National Development Group to grow and protect the property and asset portfolio
- Proactively identifying risks to the Business and recommending solutions for risk mitigation and minimisation
- Managing and interacting with external lawyers (as applicable)
- Attending monthly and quarterly development meetings
- Reviewing new site packages prior to development meetings and providing briefing on risks
- Management of freehold and leasehold acquisition matters including the review, drafting and negotiation of e.g. agreements for leas, leases, Contracts for Sale and ancillary documents, advising on risk and risk management, considering duty implications and arranging settlements.
- Considering and advising on environment and planning issues related to existing, leased sites or proposed purchase sites. Attending to Asset Portfolio: e.g. lease renegotiations and renewals; disputes with Landlords; notices from Council or authorities; compensation for disturbance.
Your keys to success:
- Current legal practicing certificate with a solid record (5+years) of PQE in Property Development work with experience in a firm (in house experience is also desirable)
- Property law expert, with demonstrated experience in commercial property leasing, acquisitions and disposals of commercial and/or retail properties
- Experience drafting and negotiating all types of property-related documents including Agreements for Lease, Leases and Contracts for Sale, easements, licences, deeds.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and call out key issues and risks
- Clear and concise communication skills, able to articulate legal jargon to non-legal stakeholders
- Excellent rapport building and presenting skills, able to engage and influence large audiences (both internal and external)
- Ability to continually seek improvement and find efficiencies
- Ability to appropriately identify, assess and balance legal risk against business needs
- Delivering results and solutions focussed approach
This opportunity is perfectly suited to a high performing individual with a can-do attitude and who enjoys working in a close-knit team and has the ability to think strategically and see the bigger picture. To get us REALLY excited, you will have, property experience across multiple jurisdictions
Why choose us?
Employer of choice winner three years in a row, McDonald’s Australia values Community and Customer as well as being Bold, Authentic and genuinely caring about our people. Working with us means taking pride and having fun along the way; while growing and developing your career in a dynamic and supportive environment. Not only do we offer flexible working arrangements, a bonus week of annual leave and an attractive staff discount; but we provide an opportunity to work alongside other passionate and talented people every single day.
Join our team!
So if you are an experienced Property Lawyer who is eager to jump on-board (or make the big move in-house!) with a market leading brand connected to over 5 million customers and ample opportunity for personal growth, then APPLY today.