Marketing Data Engineer
- Berlin, Germany
- Department: Marketing
Launched in 1998, this pioneering British-born brand has specialised in creating unforgettable experiences - from city breaks, hotels and holidays to theatre and spa days. lastminute.com is among the worldwide leaders in the field, helping hundreds of thousands of customers every year find, and do, "whatever makes them pink".
lastminute.com is part of lm group, a publicly-traded multinational Group, among the worldwide leaders in the online travel industry. Each month, our websites and mobile apps (available in 17 languages and 40 countries) reach 43 million unique users that search for and book their travel and leisure experiences.
More than 1,200 people enjoy working with us and contribute to providing our audience with a comprehensive and inspiring offering of travel-related products and services
lastminute.com is looking for a Marketing Data Engineer.
The job requires close collaboration across our international sites and with respective analytics, engineering and product teams, which could require some travel between locations.
You will build the next generation of data tools to enable us to take full advantage of data using programming languages. You will help non-technical marketers craft better campaigns, programs, and customer experiences that effectively leverage software and data by using SQL and technical interfaces that marketing has inhouse, or with agencies and service providers between them.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate advanced analytical skills, extensive database knowledge, and business and marketing acumen alongside proficiency with several programming languages and tooling (Python, SQL - mySQL, vertica -, Tableau, Spotfire, CRM) and experience working with big sets of data.
- Understand the current Marketing setup and tasks in a marketing department.
- Manage implementation process of marketing automation systems, guiding cross-departmental teams through training, integration, and initiative build out.
- Build and deliver robust data tables respecting marketing and IT needs.
- Create and maintain ETL processes and business reports, get actionable insights with data analysis and own data quality for the data pipelines created.
- Implement measures to achieve good SQL performance.
- Implement technical improvements to drive efficiency and insights across sales, marketing and cross-departmental initiatives.
- Participate in vendor selection processes for new technical solutions, including the development of business and technical requirements.
- Complete entire data analysis life cycle: procuring and cleaning raw data;identifying key insights; creating reports displaying those insights; communicate with internal stakeholders.
- Serve data models as a product to the entire marketing, including database design, implementation and debugging.
- Work closely with IT, engineering, BI and product teams.
- Pragmatic, result and business oriented approach.
- Good communication skills.
- 2-3 years in programming experience (CS degree or similar or relevant experience)
- Marketing knowledge and experience in the industry.
- Familiar with marketing tools and platforms (Google Analytics, BigQuery, DoubleClick).
- Experience and expert knowledge with relational and high availability Databases (mysql, postgresql, vertica, BigQuery) and Python in real world projects.
- Comfortable with Python scripting to transform/cleanup sets of data and implement ETL processes.
- Familiar with distributed version control (GIT) and developer tooling (Intellij, database).
- Knowledge of database schema normalisation and optimisation.
- Data processing knowledge to ingest/export/process real world data: python, unix tools, pandas, Spark.
- Ability to optimize SQL for performance and understand how to tune SQL based on query plans.
- Experience using statistical methods (for instance, normalisation, moving average, regression, forecasting, outlier removal, clustering methods)
- Good knowledge of English language
- Knowledge/experience on the travel industry appreciated.
- Good knowledge of other languages are a plus
- Good team player and communicator and soft skills dealing with other departments
- Ability to clearly and professionally communicate with other members of the team and other departments and to provide reasoned and data-driven arguments in favour of design decisions
- Practical and hands-on problem solving skills