Utility / General Production Worker - Rotating Shifts
- 35280 Scio Bowerston Rd, Bowerston, OH 44695, USA
- Job Title: Utility
- Department: Rail
L. J. Smith is the largest stair parts manufacturing company in the country. Our continued growth over the past several decades is clearly a result of our leadership role in developing and taking to market new and innovative products and techniques.
The primary responsibility of a utility/general operator is to efficiently and safely support the various functions involved in the production of wood stair handrails within the lineal / rail department. The successful employee in this position will be self-motivated receiving general supervision from management and/or the machine operator.
The shift rotation is a weekly rotation of 5 days on, and then 5 days off, then 2 days on and 2 days off. The shifts will consist of 12 hours each day. The rotation will occur between two work teams. Since the Company payroll is paid bi-weekly (every other week), Employees will be scheduled to work 36 hours during one week and working 48 hours in the following week, resulting in a total of 84 hours worked for the two week pay period.
The duties of this position will be varied and require a fast pace that supports the production activities of the department. Mastery of the duties and responsibilities of the position combined with good attendance, a positive demeanor and good working relationships will provide a strong foundation for advancement to other positions within the organization. Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Set up and operate shrink wrapping equipment, sand, package and label work in process and finished products
- Read work orders and examine product specifications to assist machine operators in achieving output and quality goals. Anticipate next steps in the process; proactively prepare to support machine operators.
- Material handling to support needs of production process using forklifts, pallet jacks and manual movement.
- Accurately report production activity through computer system transactions and written documents and reports
- Train to become the backup on each machine and process within in the department.
- Ensure work areas are maintained in safe, clean and organized fashion.
- Other tasks may be assigned based upon the current work load and the needs of the company and customer.
The knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the daily tasks and job duties bulleted above are as follows:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Previous experience in a factory setting; exposure to machine operation and setup is a plus
- Ability to use a computer to navigate to information needed, and report on and update production activity
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Basic math skills
- Ability to work daily and/or weekend overtime
- Physical labor such as lifting, and walking required on a regular basis
- Standing and bending continually and lifting and carrying 20 to 60 pounds.
We participate in a Drug Free Safety Program for a drug-free workplace. All positions require background checks and a pre-employment drug screen. Wage is commensurate to the levels of knowledge, skill and ability that an applicant brings to this position.
L. J. Smith offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision and life insurances, 401(k) savings plan, tuition aid, paid holidays/vacations, etc., with most coverage available on the first of the month following the month in which employment begins.
Hourly new hires can qualify for a 50 cent increase after the successful completion of the 90 day Introduction Period, and receive consideration for an additional merit wage increase each year on their hire anniversary date, in conjunction with an acceptable Performance Review. Regular full-time hourly employees also have the opportunity to earn an additional compensation bonus per quarter via our Key Performance Incentive (KPI) program.
We look forward to receiving your application!