Backend Engineer (Java) - API (m/f)
- Berlin, Germany
Bonial.com operates the leading location based shopping platform worldwide, with a complementary portfolio of brands and products to connect shoppers with their favourite local stores and brands. Reaching 25 million users each month, our brands focus on all stages of the shopping journey: discovering deals, following favourite stores, creating shopping lists and ultimately making a trip to the store.
About the team:
Team Relish is responsible for the core of all of the engineering projects at Bonial. We are a large team responsible for the backend systems from content creation right through to delivery via APIs. We are looking for a Backend Engineer in the API team to work with the sub-group dedicated to client traffic, APIs, search and recommendation engines.
As an Engineer in our Backend team, you’re ensuring our components keep on talking to each other, which means in particular:
- Playing an active role in the development of high-traffic, real-time, geo-located online applications and surrounding ecosystems
- Being an active driver of refactoring and scaling
- Checking API compatibilities and unifying them
- Gaining experience in programming Java8 and in Groovy & Grails as well
- Exploring technologies like PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Rest API, AWS, Kafka and Spark
- Building a system in the spirit of Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
- Working on the notification system, the search engine and hey, maintenance is always part of the job, isn’t it?
What you will need:
- 4+ years of practical Java experience
- Experience with Hibernate and Spring as well
- Experience with Elasticsearch, which is a big plus
- Experience working in an agile software development team
- The ability to work independently, responsibly, accurately and reliably
- Real team player skills, but you are ambitious at the same time
- The ability to stay calm under stress, assess risks and make decisions
- Good communication skills and know how to express your ideas in English
Once you are part of Bonial, we offer you great opportunities to grow. We have a clear careerpath, depending on your personal goals. In order to reach these goals, you have feedback talks with your team lead on a regular basis. Additionally, you can enjoy the view of on our roofterrace during our monthly meetups and regular team- and company events.
- Bonial is celebrating its 10th birthday this year!
- Did you know that employee number one is still working at our company?
- And our own CMO started as a trainee back in 2012.
- We have a shiny new office with a good view of the sights of Berlin.
- We have some seriously impressive Karaoke singers in the company!
- For parents – we have a nice Family-room in case your Kita is bailing on you..