Senior Backend Engineer
Founded in 2013, Ignition (Practice Ignition Pty Ltd) is an all-in-one platform for professional services that empower businesses to get paid faster and run smarter. Ignition automates and optimizes proposals, client agreements, billing, and payment collection to put an end to late payments, unbilled work, and mundane repetitive admin.
Ignition also integrates with leading apps such as Gusto, QuickBooks Online, Xero and Zapier to automate workflows and free up valuable time.
Over 6,500 accounting and professional services businesses globally rely on Ignition to get paid faster for all of their work, run more efficiently, and become more profitable. To date, Ignition has helped facilitate more than 1 million client engagements and over US$2.7 billion in client payments.
We are a high-growth, global SaaS organization with employees in Australia, US, Canada, UK, South Africa, New Zealand, and the Philippines.
- We are better everyday
- We work without ego
- We are smarter together
- We hero our customer
We are open to candidates across Australia and New Zealand. We have embraced hybrid working in all our locations; our employees have the option to work from home, an office or a blend between the two.
About the role:
We’re looking for smart, talented and experienced team members that can take ownership, articulate their point of view and back their opinions with a well researched and knowledgeable stance.
The purpose of this role is to contribute to the ongoing improvement and development of our platform, through domain driven design and continuous deployment of high quality software code and help the team grow.
What your day to day will look like:
- Compile and analyze data, processes, and code to troubleshoot problems and identify areas for improvement
- Collaborate with front-end developers and other team members, including customer-facing teams to establish objectives and design more functional, cohesive code to enhance the user experience
- Integration of data from various back end services and databases
- API development and Integration of data from various back end services & databases
- Recording data and reporting it to proper parties, such as clients or leadership
- Participating in continuing education and training to remain current on best practices, learn new programming languages, and better assist other team members
- Developing back-end functionality and assisting the Lead developer
- Providing guidance on projects, as needed
- Participating in research, producing POCs, and evaluating new methodologies and technologies that improve quality, reliability, scalability, security, and performance of Ignition technology, architecture, and product
- Actively participating in code reviews by providing constructive comments and sharing and adopting best practices, to improve codebase quality, efficiency, and security
- Mentoring and guiding developers by providing quality coaching and guiding proper execution of their tasks
- Committing to support a safe, mindful, and productive team environment, maintaining open, honest, and respectful communication
How we work:
- Distributed team
- Continuous Delivery
- Code Reviews
- Ruby/Rails (using our own framework inspired by DDD)
- Postgres, Redis, AWS, Sidekiq
- Testing is done with RSpec, and Cypress with Chrome Headless
- CI/CD using CircleCI
Who you are:
- Approx 5-7+ yrs experience in backend development, and recent experience with Ruby/Rails
- Tech Stack: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Sidekiq/Redis, AWS
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, distributed systems, algorithms and software design
- Passionate about clean code architecture and software craftsmanship
- Experience with Git and GitHub or similar
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with background job processing
- Experience with Message Queues
- Comfortable working in the terminal
- Proficiency within an editor of your choice
- Experience working with profiling tools
- Knowledge and familiarity with caching strategies, design patterns, cloud architecture and tools
- Consuming and integrating with third party APIs
- Open to mid to senior level candidates, experience with payment will be a plus
Why join us:
- Founder led, global SaaS organization, in hyper growth mode and scaling fast
- We work without ego in a collaborative, open and transparent work culture
- Competitive salary and employee stock options from day 1
- 20 days accrued annual leave/vacation, along with 10 days of wellbeing days to take care of yourself and/or loved ones
- Annual education allowance to support your professional growth
- Curious and smart coworkers who won’t back down from a challenge
- Employee recognition program
- Quarterly wellness allowance to spend on your wellness and what this means to you
- Paid subscription to Headspace and LifeWorks EAP & Wellbeing Platform
- Flexible working supported by work from office reimbursement and mobile allowance to allow you to set yourself up safely to work from home
- Personal tax return assistance - after all, we are in the accounting business!
- Paid parental leave
- An extra paid day off to celebrate your birthday, alongside volunteering leaves
- Monthly social events
Please consider applying, even if you don’t tick all the boxes. Research has shown that candidates from underrepresented minority groups often only apply for roles where they meet all the detailed criteria. Experience comes in many forms, and skills are transferable. We are committed to adding diverse perspectives to our teams and encourage everyone to apply if interested.
Ignition is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ignition is proud to provide employment and recruitment accommodations during the recruitment process. Once our team reviews your resume and contacts you if there is a fit, we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact [email protected]