VP of Finance
- Kalamazoo, MI, USA
Our client is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to inspire people to care for the environment by providing experiences that lead them to understand their connection to the natural world.
The VP of Finance is responsible for managing accounting, planning, preparing budgets, preparation of periodic reporting, maintenance of contract and property files, managing audit and tax processes and completion of special projects.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supervise the Accounting Coordinator and Program Registrar.
- Complete month end procedures, including bank reconciliations, standard and other journal entries as needed, and preparation of monthly reports for managers.
- Prepare periodic financial reporting required by the Board of Trustees.
- Manage the annual budget process.
- Coordinate annual financial audit.
- Coordinate process for completion of IRS Form 990, Return for Organizations Exempt from Income Tax.
- Monitor endowment fund performance and act as liaison to the Investment Committee in developing investment policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with the Chair of the Finance Committee to provide information and organize meetings required for the Committee to discharge its duties.
- Administer staff benefits - health insurance, STD, LTD, Simple IRA and FSA.
- Monitor and review insurance coverages such as general, liability, auto, workers' compensation, and Director & Officers Insurance. Ensuring adequate and cost effective coverage and act as primary contact for insurance agent.
- Maintain the financial database.
- Maintain permanent files of important documents such as property, contract, and insurance.
- Coordinate Request for Proposal and Capital Expenditure Request processes for major contract capital expenditure decisions.
- Advise senior management on financial aspects of potential mergers, acquisitions and restricted donations.
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- VP, Director, or CFO experience with a nonprofit organization preferred.
- CPA or other professional accounting or finance qualification strongly preferred.
- Experience with Financial Edge (Blackbaud) accounting software and Crystal Reports, a plus.
- Strong skills in MicroSoft Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, champion and manage financial and accounting initiatives to achieve efficiencies and improvements.
Salary up to $70,000 based on experience.
30 to 40 hour work week.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.