Lead Bioinformatics Engineer
- Dawson Hall - Charterhouse Square, London, United Kingdom
- Department: Bioinformatics Engineering
- Office: London
Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We are accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. We work with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
Our Lead Bioinformatics Engineer is an experienced bioinformatician with strong competences in software engineering and computer science.
Through proactive collaborations and agile practices, the Lead position brings technical leadership and people management capacity within the directorate and across different squads/teams.
Based on a solid understanding of biomedical challenges and high-quality code, the Lead position directly contributes to the development of solutions and products that address the needs of our external and internal stakeholders.
- Provide technical leadership at the chapter and squad levels
- Manage, supervise and coach/mentor direct reports
- Implement software solutions for high-throughput genome analysis and interpretation
- Produce high quality code, including automated testing following coding best practices, and leading code reviews
- Stay at the cutting edge of software development and bioinformatics
- Ensure that implemented solutions adhere to the various standards and accreditations required for both clinical laboratory practice and software delivery
- Extensive experience of working in a research or technical field, including software development and bioinformatics
- Degree qualified in Software Engineering or Computer Science
- Track record of cross-functional or cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Strong software implementation experience throughout the whole software development cycle
- Demonstrable experience in modern software development practices (including Agile/Scrum, CI/CD)
- Highly proficient in at least one programming language, i.e Python
- Strong experience deploying solutions on the cloud ideally using native services
- Up-to-date knowledge of tools and advances used in the bioinformatics field
- Deep knowledge of key standards, data sources and tool chains used in NGS and clinical genomics
The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary and benefits package along with the opportunity of working and collaborating with some of the best researchers and bioinformaticians in the UK.