Director of Bioinformatics Engineering
- London, UK
- Department: Bioinformatics Engineering
- Office: London
Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We are accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. We work with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
This is an exciting opportunity for an expert in bioinformatics and software engineering to join an amazing team. You'll be collaborating with many parts of the business, performing a range of senior functions including team leadership, external relationship management (e.g. with GA4GH), innovation, quality and strategy.
In this leading role, you'll drive the adoption of best-in-class bioinformatics solutions by working with architects and engineers across the organisation and ensuring that what we build is grounded in solid bioinformatics and genomics. Importantly, You will be our head coach for bioinformaticians and bioinformatics engineers, providing them with mentoring, career development, and training opportunities.
The successful candidate would have, as a minimum:
- A strong background in bioinformatics and software engineering, including extensive experience making use of cloud services for bioinformatics solutions, ideally applied to genome sequencing
- Experience and passion for leading teams of scientists and engineers
- Experience and thought leadership working in an agile framework within product teams with diverse skills
- Similar industry experience within a corporate environment
We also expect of our people to be:
- Strongly linked to international networks
- Collaborative and non-hierarchical
- Mission driven with a strong disposition to serve
- Continuously keeping up to date with the latest practices in bioinformatics and software engineer
- Degree qualified in Software Engineering or Computer Science
- Extensive experience in Bioinformatics ideally in the area of next generation sequencing
The successful candidate will receive a competitive salary and benefits package along with the opportunity of working and collaborating with the best researchers and bioinformaticians in the UK.