Data Protection Manager
- London, UK
- Department: Assurance & IT Services and Support
- Office: London
Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We're now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
The Data Protection Manager provides expert advice on data protection matters to the organisation. This advice includes assessing information risk and developing and implementing effective strategies to ensure compliance with relevant legislation.
In addition to being the focal point for Data Protection enquiries, you will also deliver the annual work plan and lead in the planning, organisation, monitoring and evaluation of all related activities.
- You will lead on the development and implementation of the Data Protection strategy and objectives for the organisation.
- Develop and implement the Data Protection road map for the organisation.
- Work across multiple Squads and Tribes to ensure there is a consistent approach to ensuring compliance with Data Protection guidelines and legislation.
- Work across the business to identify non-compliance and take proactive action to deliver appropriate and timely remedies.
- Develop and implement appropriate policies and practices to ensure that information systems and processes are secure. This includes establishing and maintaining an information asset register across the organisation, identifying risks and risk mitigation.
- Ensure suitable metrics are in place, and monitor and report on performance, taking appropriate action as required.
- Lead on the delivery of the Data Security and Protection Toolkit, working closely with the DPO and Caldicott Guardian.
- Lead on the delivery of Data Privacy Impact Assessments and audits on a regular basis.
- Lead on the management of information governance and security risk, defining and agreeing risk tolerance, and ensuring there is appropriate visibility of risks and issues across the organisation.
- Know and understand the meaning behind our virtues of Empathy, Integrity, Focus, Connection, Speed, Curiosity, Impact and embody them in all aspects of your role.
- Understand that our virtues are the bedrock of Genomics England and you use them to guide your decisions – whether big or small, and also as a compass to guide the behaviour of your team – ensuring that they regularly affirm and check in with the virtues.
- Proven experience in a data protection or information governance role, a good understanding of information governance frameworks and of best practice in the field of data protection and information sharing, within an NHS or data–centric IT environment.
- Knowledge of the Caldicott Principles and their application within the NHS.
- Experience of implementing GDPR / Data Protection Act compliance policies and procedures.
CIPP or equivalent qualified.
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the long-term opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome. Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we're pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- generous pension scheme
- individual learning budgets for every colleague
- a raft of other benefits
Talk to our Talent Team and find out how a career with Genomics England will benefit you.