Human Centered Design Research Manager
- London, UK
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Design & Research
- Office: London
Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We're now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
As our first Research Manager, you'll be responsible for growing and leading our new new Design Research function and bringing user stories to the heart of everything we do at GEL.
Through cultivating a culture of curiosity and demonstrating the value of research, you'll raise the bar for excellence across the team and foster a community of research at GEL, thus enabling us to create world class experiences for patients and clinitians.
- Champion design research across the business, advocate for how design research can create positive impact and demonstrate the value of the team’s work
- Build a holistic design research program at GEL to ensure we have a good understanding of our users, from public to experts, and a human-centered approach can be taken in our work - widen the lens of research to include wider user context beyond product and service interactions
- Ensure a long shelf-life for design research by encouraging sharing of insights, and running cross-cutting research that influences multiple roadmaps and initiatives, and lead the creation and maintenance of an insights library that is accessible to the organisation
- Be an expert in a variety of design research methodologies, ensuring the research team are utilising suitable methods to answer their questions and lead the creation of novel methods where innovation on methodology is desired or necessary
- Act as a strategic partner to service owners, product managers and senior leaders to establish research programmes with key partners, and ensure the operational success and alignment of research programmes to our strategic goals
- Identify gaps in our knowledge about users and proactively suggest design research led initiatives
- Determine the operational needs for running design research at GEL, lead the creation of methods and procurement of tools and vendors required to enable efficient research operations and ensure researchers have access to resources, software and hardware tools to do their best work
- Define and establish thorough design research processes at GEL, codify and operationalise the processes working with cross functional teams, embedding research as a key part of how we work
- Work on developing the design research team by identifying growth areas and assigning stretch opportunities, and install a culture of mentorship and connectedness across design researchers
- Know and understand the meaning behind our virtues of Empathy, Integrity, Focus, Connection, Speed, Curiosity, Impact and embody them in all aspects of your role.
- Extensive professional experience in creating research programmes with measurable impact
- Deep expertise in human-centered design research methodologies, ability to guide teams on appropriate method-question pairing and devising new methods where appropriate
- Ability to collaborate and a strong passion and desire to work with researchers, designers, product managers, service owners and third-party suppliers to establish and run extensive research programmes
- Strong organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise tasks and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills,
- Desire to continually improve work through giving and receiving feedback
- Experience in mentoring and managing design researchers
- Experience working with complex systems (e.g. healthcare, aerospace)
- Experience in Human-Centred AI, Data and Design etc
- Experience working within an Agile environment
- Degree in HCI/Design/Social Science/Service Design
- Relevant research portfolio
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome. Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we're pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- generous pension scheme
- individual learning budgets for every colleague
- a raft of other benefits
Talk to our Talent Team and find out how a career with Genomics England will benefit you.