Bioinformatician - Research Support
- London, UK
- Department: Bioinformatics Research Services
- Office: London
Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We're now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
Our Bioinformaticians provide high calibre bioinformatics research support to external researchers and industrial partners by enabling analysis, facilitating access to datasets and ensuring optimal use of the Genomics England Research Data Centre. This Bioinformatician will act as a second line of support for users of the Research Environment and take responsibility for delivering the best outcome for users. They will be intimately familiar with the data and applications.
The research support team is also responsible for the stewardship of genomic data and its effective flow through products into the various research products. The role includes elements of a bioinformatician and data analyst, ensuring that our users have an excellent customer experience.
In this role, you'll be a superuser of our datasets and our research environment, advocating both internally and externally, while working with researchers from academia and industry to ensure their scientific projects are successful. You will support our users in working with our data and contribute to data generation, intake and extraction through airlocks. You will also develop templates and documentation on accessing data and running analyses in the environment, and carry out custom analyses on demand. You'll have excellent interpersonal skills, keeping track of customer relationships, providing high calibre troubleshooting, identifying unmet customer needs and suggesting solutions to improve material.
Skills and Experience for Success
We anticipate the ideal candidate will have or be:
- Passionate about providing a great service to our research users
- Experience with working in the cloud and familiarity with the services and benefits it brings.
- Competence in R, Python or similar language appropriate for large-scale genomics analysis.
- Extensive hands-on experience in analysis of large-scale genomic data using bioinformatics tools and pipelines.
- Demonstrable experience in using next generation sequencing data.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal and excellent facilitation, influencing and presentation skills.
- Good customer-service orientation and experience in working with customers, preferably in the scientific/pharma industry.
Also, it's highly desirable to have:
- A background in human disease genetics, preferably in cancer or rare disease, demonstrated by publication record or industry track record.
- Experience writing pipelines in WDL or Nextflow
- Proven ability to communicate with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds (e.g. management, IT, R&D, biology, bioinformatics).
- Understanding of clinical and phenotypic data management and the sensitivities surrounding patient cohort data.
Educated to MSc level (or higher), in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Statistical Genetics, or a related scientific discipline.
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the long-term opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome. Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we're pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- generous pension scheme
- individual learning budgets for every colleague
- a raft of other benefits
Talk to our Talent Team and find out how a career with Genomics England will benefit you.