- London, UK
- Department: Bio Ops and Implementation
- Office: London
Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We're now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
Are you a skilled Python coder with a solid skillset in Bioinformatics, looking to use tech for good?
Our Bioinformatics Engineers are skilled in performing computational analyses and implementing software solutions for sequencing data and genome analysis for interpretation. You'll be an essential member of the team and a driving force behind our mission to advance personalised genomic medicine in the UK, directly benefiting patients suffering with diseases and cancers.
You'll be involved in producing high quality code, driving adoption of agile practices and acting as an SME for Bioinformatics. You'll be performing computational analyses, implement software solutions for high throughput sequencing data analysis, genome analysis and interpretation as well as ensuring we continuously improve our practices and adhere to engineering standards.
Skills and Experience for Success
We anticipate the ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent Python coding skillset
- Solid skillset in Bioinformatics, understanding of the standards, data sources and tool chains used in NGS and clinical genomics
- Proficient in Linux, Git, Postgres (or similar RDBMs)
- Solid expertise of developing production quality algorithms and software to analyse large data sets
- Excellent technical writing skills.
- Experience working in agile environments and demonstrable effectiveness working in agile squads
- Experience using public cloud services
- Experience in building code using CI/CD
MSc or Higher in a biomedical discipline (or equivalent experience) and MSc or higher in computer science/software engineering (or equivalent experience)
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the long-term opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome. Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we're pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- generous pension scheme
- individual learning budgets for every colleague
- a raft of other benefits
Talk to our Talent Team and find out how a career with Genomics England will benefit you.