Health Economic Analyst
- Dawson Hall - Charterhouse Square, London, United Kingdom
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Performance & MI
- Office: London
Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We're now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
We are looking for a Health Economic Analyst who will use national health economic data and Genomics England (GEL) data to model and measure the macro-economic impact of the introduction of genomic medicine into the NHS.
The successful candidate will produce economic models, building understanding of the Genomic Medicine in the NHS, and also its impact and benefits in healthcare, research, industry and government the UK. The outputs of this work will have a major impact on GEL’s ability to demonstrate the value of Genomic Medicine and precision healthcare, and to make the case for Genomics funding at fiscal events such as Budgets and Spending Reviews.
Your day to day will consist of working with partners, stakeholders and external advisors to assimilate data from a range of sources, to integrate GEL and national health economic datasets (e.g. Hospital Episode Statistics, other healthcare databases). You'll produce cost/benefit analyses, lead presentation of outputs to internal and external stakeholders. You'll also be responsible for the research and critical appraisal of medical and economic reports/literature, supporting business development and funding applications, as well as provide data-driven guidance and recommendations on questions posed by the executive leadership team.
This is an essential and integral role which provides the economic lens into commercial development and management decisions and is an exciting opportunity to add real value and clear context to our cutting edge activities.
Skills and Experience for Success
We anticipate the ideal candidate will be:
- Experienced/expert in economic modelling / forecasting (healthcare/pharma/biotech/related).
- Able to build high-quality, technically robust and clinically valid models in Microsoft Excel or other software
- Mission driven
- An advocate for genomics-enabled precision health
- Approachable and open to change
- Able to create high-quality outputs at pace
- Highly numerate
- Strong background and interest in health economics
- Understanding of clinical data, its sources, and its limitations
- An excellent verbal and written communicator
- An pro-active collaborator
- Actively progressing self-learning and development
The following skills are also desirable:
- Knowledge and/or experience of government and healthcare processes and how to assess benefits and value for money. For example, experience using the HMT Green/Magenta books or experience of working with NHS data.
- Ability to quickly interpret and manipulate raw data, provide analysis & conclusions and present in an accessible way. For example, consulting experience or similar.
- Sufficient understanding of the healthcare and molecular diagnostic landscape to model divergent health economic scenarios
- Academic or professional background in economics, masters/doctoral level
- Health economics specialism preferred
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the long-term opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome. Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we're pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- generous pension scheme
- individual learning budgets for every colleague
- a raft of other benefits
Talk to our Talent Team and find out how a career with Genomics England will benefit you.