Sr. Simulation Engineer
- 19 Presidential Way, Woburn, MA 01801, USA
Factorial is transforming battery technology to enable safe, affordable, and manufacturable products for Mobility and Energy. Operating out of its world-class research and development facility in Woburn, MA, the company holds a portfolio of solid-state innovations, including its segment-leading Factorial Electrolyte System Technology™ (FEST).
Factorial is looking for a Sr. Simulation Engineer who will be responsible for Factorial’s cell simulation and cell behavior analysis for our new lithium metal battery and Li-ion cell. The successful candidate will assume a lithium-ion cell modeling and simulation development role joining Factorial’s team in Woburn, Massachusetts. This role requires experience in cell simulation, testing, thermal behavior, basic cell design engineering, and data analysis. This candidate will be involved in customer basis product and project with R&D projects. The candidate must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills to facilitate exchanges between various departments within the company. This position will report to the engineering division of Factorial Energy.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not restricted to:
- Key member for Factorial’s next generation lithium-ion battery and pouch cell product simulation
- Develop models, both empirical and first-principles-based, for cell performance and cell life prediction.
- Plan and execute design of experiments for cell testing
- Lead the effort on cell algorithms creation, optimization, analysis, state estimation
- Lead the effort on thermal analysis, including steady-state and transient conduction and convection with electrochemical heat generation
- Provide engineering support to project teams
- Collaborate and communicate with customers directly on cell behavior
- Work closely with R&D engineers to increase understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of lithium secondary cells
- BS or MS Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, or related field strongly preferred
- As a simulation engineer, minimum 5 years’ experience in Li metal battery (preferred) or Li-ion battery (at minimum)
- Familiar with Li metal battery (preferred) or Li-ion battery (at minimum) cell performance simulation and testing data analysis
- Experience with first-principles electrochemical modeling and/or equivalent-circuit modeling preferred,
- Experience with battery testing, including cycle life, performance characterization, and impedance spectroscopy, a plus
- Practical experience with statistical design and analysis of experiments.
- Proficient with Matlab, COMSOL, MS Office, C or Python related language
- Preferred ANSYS
- Using modeling and simulation tools like MATLAB, a plus
- Proven track record of success in bringing projects to fruition
- Willingness to execute on multiple tasks in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Ability to work within project teams and with customers with dedication and technical excellence
Factorial is empowering a sustainable future with the highest performance and safest batteries for electric vehicles, homes, and critical applications. We have pioneered Factorial Electrolyte System Technology™, a high performance, scalable solid-state electrolyte solution, to enable batteries with longer range and a higher degree of safety for the global EV market.
Factorial is an equal employer and all your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.