Sr. Mechanical Engineer
- 19 Presidential Way, Woburn, MA 01801, USA
Factorial is transforming battery technology to enable safe, affordable, and manufacturable products for Mobility and Energy. Operating out of its world-class research and development facility in Woburn, MA, the company holds a portfolio of solid-state innovations, including its segment-leading Factorial Electrolyte System Technology™ (FEST).
Factorial is looking for a Sr. Mechanical Engineer who will be responsible for Factorial’s cell and equipment drawings for our new lithium metal battery and cell technology. The successful candidate will assume a cell/equipment engineering and development role joining Factorial’s team in Woburn, Massachusetts. This role requires experience in pressure testing, thermal testing, CAD/CAM, tolerancing, design, layout, additive engineering, and data analysis. This role includes technical support for the battery operations and R&D teams. This candidate will be involved in pilot scale, low and high-volume production as well as product design and R&D projects. The candidate must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills to facilitate exchanges between various departments within the company. This position will report to the engineering division of Factorial Energy.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not restricted to:
- Responsible for creating new cell packaging concepts, prototypes and cell assembly tools to support the design of electrochemical cells
- Design, development, and validation of mechanical components and assemblies of lithium ion cell
- Lead the efforts to develop the tool and mechanism understanding mechanical behavior of electrochemical cell during operating
- Lead the efforts to characterize thermal behavior of electrochemical cell
- Design, validate, and analyze lithium ion battery production for continuous improvement to processes and equipment
- Key member for optimization of product design for manufacturing and quality and support process development
- Provide engineering support to project teams to resolve production and quality issues
- Collaborate and communicate with internal customers directly on cell development
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering
- As a mechanical engineer, minimum 5 years’ experience in Li metal battery (preferred) or Li-ion battery (at minimum)
- Demonstrated expertise and success in design, development, and validation of mechanical components and assemblies for high volume production
- Familiar with mechanical behavior study during operating Li metal (preferred) or Li-ion battery (at minimum)
- Familiar with Li metal battery thermal testing (preferred) or Li-ion battery thermal testing (at minimum)
- Competency in design analysis, 2D and 3D including CAD and Pro E software and analysis tools
- Preferred COMSOL experience
- Proven track record of success in bringing projects to fruition
- Proficiency in the lithium metal battery cell fabrication processes a plus
- Willingness to execute on multiple tasks in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Ability to work within project teams and with customers with dedication and technical excellence
Factorial is empowering a sustainable future with the highest performance and safest batteries for electric vehicles, homes, and critical applications. We have pioneered Factorial Electrolyte System Technology™, a high performance, scalable solid-state electrolyte solution, to enable batteries with longer range and a higher degree of safety for the global EV market.
Factorial is an equal employer and all your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.