Senior Data Engineer
- Castlefield Rd, Reigate RH2, UK
- Salary: Competitive
- Working Hours: 35
- Department: Data
Here at esure, we’re no strangers to change. As one of the industry leaders in the insurance business, striving to become a world class digital insurer, we’re getting ready for more. It’s creating great new opportunities for innovative and talented industry professionals to join us at a pivotal point in our development.
It’s an opportunity you simply don’t want to miss. You can expect our investment in you to include a highly competitive package, career and development opportunities and flexible benefits built around you and your lifestyle.
esure has a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Data Engineer (Core Platforms) to join or Data Platform team.
The purpose of this role is to develop and manage the data engineering stack at esure. The successful candidate will be responsible for the ingestion, storage, and development of data pipelines into our core data platform.
- Help build the build the core data platform within esure
- Integrate data from a variety of sources, assuring that they adhere to data quality and accessibility standards
- Modify and improve data engineering processes to handle ever larger, more complex, and more types of data sources and pipelines
- Evaluate and experiment with novel data engineering tools and advises information technology leads and partners about new capabilities to determine optimal solutions for particular technical problems or designated use cases.
- Transformations of data into a common domain model for end user access (be it data science needs, data products or BI)
- Mentoring junior engineers.
- Interact with architects on best design for data products
- Think about the future state of data assests how we can try to future proof ourselves for working with different data types
- Significant hands-on experience in one or more modern Object-Oriented Programming languages (Java, Scala, Python) including the ability to code in more than one programming language.
- Significant hands-on experience applying principles, best practices, and trade-offs of schema design to different database systems, including relational (Oracle, MSSQL, Postgres, MySQL) and NoSQL (HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB)
- Demonstrable hands-on experience implementing batch and real-time data integration frameworks and/or applications in private or public cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.) using various technologies (Spark, Impala, etc.), including assessing performance, debugging, and fine-tuning those systems
- Deep understanding of the latest data engineering methods and processes to develop impactful and reusable patterns and abstractions from enterprise-level data assets Hands on experience in all phases of data modeling from conceptualization to database optimization
- Demonstrated ability to perform the engineering necessary to acquire, ingest, cleanse, integrate, and structure massive volumes of data from multiple sources and systems into enterprise analytics platforms
- Proven ability to design and optimize queries to build scalable, modular, efficient data pipelines
- Ability to work across structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data, extracting information and identifying linkages across disparate data sets
- Proven experience delivering production-ready data engineering solutions, including requirements definition, architecture selection, prototype development, debugging, unittesting, deployment, support, and maintenance
What we will offer you in return:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- 25% discount on esure & Sheila’s Wheels insurance (10% for immediate family) or a guarantee to beat any other insurer’s renewal quote on both home and car insurance
- 15% Discount on esure and Sheila’s Wheels Travel Insurance
- Discretional annual bonus
- Flu Jabs and Eye Care - Free flu jabs every winter, free eye tests every two years and £50 towards VDU glasses
In light of the current Covid-19 pandemic, we want to emphasise to all applicants that the safety and wellbeing of our candidates and colleagues is esure Group’s number one priority. All interviews will be conducted remotely via a video conference platform to ensure that everyone involved is adhering to the social distancing guidance