Senior Data Ops Engineer
- The Meridian, 25 Quay St, Manchester M3 4AL, UK
- Salary: Competitive
- Department: Data
- Working Hours: 35
Here at esure, we’re no strangers to change. As one of the industry leaders in the insurance business, striving to become a world class digital insurer, we’re getting ready for more. It’s creating great new opportunities for innovative and talented industry professionals to join us at a pivotal point in our development.
It’s an opportunity you simply don’t want to miss. You can expect our investment in you to include a highly competitive package, career and development opportunities and flexible benefits built around you and your lifestyle.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Senior DataOps Engineer to join our Data Platform team.
As part of esure’s DevOps team, the DataOps Engineer supports a variety of cloud-based infrastructure covering front-end websites, back-end APIs and serverless functions as well as the ‘route-to-live’ deployment pipeline. They are responsible for the support, maintenance and provisioning of environments and are the primary release function within esure IT.
- Offer technical leadership and mentorship of DataOps in the data platforms group.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for DataOps, and partner with functional experts across the company to bring that expertise to bear on some of the hardest and most exciting problems in this space.
- Own production pipelines for in-house developed models serving our real-time systems and risk models.
- Work closely with data engineers to advise on implementation.
- Recommend and drive architecture/infrastructure to create actionable, meaningful, and scalable solutions for business problems.
- Establish scalable, efficient, and automated processes for large scale deployments (including machine learning solutions) Manage, monitor, and troubleshoot machine learning infrastructure.
- Act as a trusted advisor and be required to build relationships, promote best working practices and identify areas for improvement with regards to DataOps Services and Tooling.
- Ensure that there is a proactive approach embedded for environment provisioning, maintenance and support.
- Ensure best practice adopted and followed in relation to build, release and deployment activities
- Ensure best practice adopted and followed in relation to use of tooling and services that support effective change delivery.
- Create infrastructure following best practice outlined by our chosen cloud provider(s).
- Infrastructure to be created from code (Terraform) as per best practice and organised to be easily maintained and extended.
- Deploy software to and maintain multiple environments from Development through Production.
- Provision environments and perform initial configuration for change initiatives.
- Ensure environments maintain the highest level of quality, security, scalability, availability and compliance amidst an environment of rapid change and growth.
- Responsible for upgrading and patching of in-scope components
- Significant hands-on industry experience.
- Demonstrable experience deploying robust container based solutions in production environments (ideally cloud-based environments such as AWS)
- Demonstrable experience with Kubernetes.
- Experience working with IAM, Security and other foundational cloud components Expertise in standard software engineering methodology, e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation, CI/CD Experience building auto-scaling systems.
- A passion for creating innovative techniques and making these methods robust and scalable.
- Strong Python programming skills.
- Experience with databases and data structuring/warehousing.
- Exposure to machine learning concepts (feature engineering, text classification, and time series prediction) and frameworks with interest in learning more.
Nice to haves :
- Exposure to data science model in production Contributions to open source projects
What we will offer you in return:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- 25% discount on esure & Sheila’s Wheels insurance (10% for immediate family) or a guarantee to beat any other insurer’s renewal quote on both home and car insurance
- 15% Discount on esure and Sheila’s Wheels Travel Insurance
- Discretional annual bonus
- Flu Jabs and Eye Care - Free flu jabs every winter, free eye tests every two years and £50 towards VDU glasses
In light of the current Covid-19 pandemic, we want to emphasise to all applicants that the safety and wellbeing of our candidates and colleagues is esure Group’s number one priority. All interviews will be conducted remotely via a video conference platform to ensure that everyone involved is adhering to the social distancing guidance