Summer Camp Maker & Science Instructor (5th-8th grade) - Alameda
- TBD, Alameda, CA, United States
At Edventure More (EDMO™), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, we create high-quality, high-access maker-infused science, tech and nature programs that foster intellectual, social, emotional, and physical intelligence in all children. By partnering with top Bay Area universities, museums and industry professional, our unique framework incorporates the latest and most scientifically proven methods of whole child and character development. Edventure More is a local force in the national movement to reduce Summer Learning Loss, build Social Emotional Learning and 21st Century Skills, and save hands-on learning in schools. 5% of all of our summer camp proceeds and 100% of donations support camper scholarships and subsidize the cost of science & technology programs in schools.
At Camp EDMO™, Pre-K-8th campers develop their creative capacity, unleash their inner scientist and technologist, and plumb the mysteries of the natural world. They lose themselves in STEAM-infused activities, are inspired to accept themselves and others, push their boundaries with confidence, and most importantly, act with real kindness and compassion. Learn more at campedmo.org.
The PRO Maker & Science Instructor is responsible for running the PRO Maker room and instruction for 5th-8th grade campers. They train on all PRO Maker & Science curriculum (including Forensic Science, Molecular Biology and DIY Derby) and teach every day, bringing this hands-on curriculum to life for our campers. Instructors should be prepared for a summer filled with personal and professional growth, classroom management practice and a whole lot of FUN!
Main duties include:
- Approach education with passion and excitement and build positive role model relationships with campers
- Set-up, organize and manage the maker classroom including supplies, curriculum and classroom management
- Lead lessons each day on various themes and projects
- Manage counselors and LITs while in the maker classroom
- Refine curriculum and add personal contributions as seen fit and with guidance of the Camp Director
- Work closely with the Camp Director and other staff members to create fun camp games, songs, skits and activities - and participate in all
- Assist in daily camper check in and check out procedures
- Interact with parents in a professional and energetic manner
- Help cultivate healthy self-esteem and a natural love for learning
- Instill the EDMO Vibe of kindness, respect, honesty and FUN in all campers
Position reports to: Camp Director
- Bachelors Degree (or degree in progress) in a related field and/or relevant experience
- Experience with power tools and fabrication
- Knowledge of the design process
- Classroom teaching experience preferred but not required
- Creative, patient, positive and willing to problem solve
- Experience (and a love for!) working with kids
- High sense of responsibility and dependability
- Strong team player
- Contagious enthusiasm and charisma
- Previous camp experience preferred but not required
- Experience facilitating groups of children and/or working youth programs with proven classroom management is preferred
- Curriculum specific experience may include:
- A science background including biology, chemistry and physics
- Basic science lab skills
- Experience in forensics
- Experience building or working with power tools
Do not be discouraged if you only have experience/expertise in one subject area or do not specialize in maker or science education. You are still eligible for the position.
- $13 - $18 / Hour Based on Location and Experience + Overtime at 1.5 x hourly rate
- 7:45 am - 4:15 pm: Monday - Friday
- Additional Assigned Overtime until 6pm.
- This is a Full-Time Summer Position running 5 - 10 weeks from June - August depending on location. Please visit our website at campedmo.org to see specific dates for each location.
- Training: Staff training will take place the week prior to the start date of the assigned location as well as mandatory curriculum training TBD.
- Extended weeks and school year work are also available for qualified candidates. Ask for more info!
- Resumes are accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled. The sooner you apply, the better your chances.
- Please attach your resume and cover letter in a PDF form to ensure compatibility.
- If you have worked for us in past summers, please use the alumni link emailed to you to submit your application for 2019.
We look forward to receiving your application! If you have questions about our job opportunities please contact Greg Nelson at 415.282.6673.
CAMP EDMO is powered by Edventure More, a year-round 501(c)(3) non-profit enrichment organization. 5% of summer camp proceeds and 100% of donations support camp scholarships and subsidized science, maker and technology programs in local schools.