Camp Director - San Francisco
- Various, San Francisco, CA, us
At Edventure More (EDMO™), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, we create high-quality, high-access maker-infused science, tech and nature programs that foster intellectual, social, emotional, and physical intelligence in all children. By partnering with top Bay Area universities, museums and industry professional, our unique framework incorporates the latest and most scientifically proven methods of whole child and character development. Edventure More is a local force in the national movement to reduce Summer Learning Loss, build Social Emotional Learning and 21st Century Skills, and save hands-on learning in schools. 5% of all of our summer camp proceeds and 100% of donations support camper scholarships and subsidize the cost of science & technology programs in schools.
At Camp EDMO™, Pre-K-8th campers develop their creative capacity, unleash their inner scientist and technologist, and plumb the mysteries of the natural world. They lose themselves in STEAM-infused activities, are inspired to accept themselves and others, push their boundaries with confidence, and most importantly, act with real kindness and compassion. Learn more at campedmo.org.
The Camp Director is responsible for all things pertaining to their camp location: programming, staffing, training, supplies, camper and parent interaction, and site vibe. In addition to a full time summer component, this job includes 100 hours of spring training and preparation for running camp and all necessary camp wrap-up leading into the Fall.
Main duties include:
Participating in any pre-camp training, professional development or in season meetings with Regional Managers
Managing all aspects of Camp EDMO daily operations as directed for a location
Hiring, training and managing a staff team of Instructors, Counselors and Leaders-in-Training
Providing a high caliber of customer service by anticipating and addressing any camper or parent challenges or concerns
Communicating with parents daily, and as needed, to make sure they are up to date on what their children are experiencing at camp, as well as posting photos on Facebook
Ensuring all staff, campers and parents are safe and have a positive experience in our program
Utilizing appropriate communication documents to request additional supplies and/or talking with the Regional Manager or home office about any issues or needs
Setting up and packing up camp, making sure that all needed materials are received and that anything to be returned is done so at the camp’s closure
Exhibiting the EDMO vibe and demonstrating through actions each of the key character skills of empathy, responsibility, initiative, collaboration, problem solving and emotional management, while also reinforcing these qualities in staff and campers
If you are missing any of the qualifications listed below, please don't be discouraged! We are ready to train and be flexible for the right applicant. Please still apply if if you are enthusiastic about this work and think you would be a strong fit. Preferred qualifications are:
- Bachelors Degree in education or a related course of study
- Experience working with youth of all ages
- Past involvement/experience in a summer camp environment as staff (or as a camper!)
- Experience with leadership and group facilitation for youth and adults
- Experience hiring and managing a team of employees
- Experience (and a love for!) working with kids
- High sense of responsibility and dependability
- Experience talking and interacting with parents
- Skilled in problem solving, multi tasking, creativity and flexibility
- Experience facilitating groups of children and/or working youth programs with proven classroom management
- A large supply of costumes and/or a plethora of skits and songs in your back pocket is a PLUS!
Positions are available in San Francisco, North Bay, East Bay, Peninsula, South Bay and Greater Sacramento areas. Flexibility regarding your region/location may increase your chance of being hired.
Hours & Compensation:
- Spring Training: Part Time
- ~100 hours February - May which includes training (TBD - most likely one weekend day per month) and hours to interview, hire and train summer staff.
- June - August: Exaxct dates vary based on location.
- Hours are roughly 7:30 - 6:00 Monday - Friday
- Pay starts at $1000/week
Resumes are accepted on a rolling basis until positions are filled. The sooner you apply, the better your chances. Please attach your resume and cover letter in a PDF form to ensure compatibility.
Part-time School Year positions are also available for qualified candidates starting now. Ask for more info!
We look forward to receiving your application! If you have questions about our job opportunities please contact Greg Nelson at 415.282.6673.
CAMP EDMO is powered by Edventure More, a year-round 501(c)(3) non-profit enrichment organization. 5% of summer camp proceeds and 100% of donations support camp scholarships and subsidized science, maker and technology programs in local schools.