Data Protection & Privacy Counsel
- 32 6th Ave, New York, NY 10013, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Dentsu is a modern marketing solutions company. Our mission is to help clients navigate, progress and thrive in a world of change. Businesses rely on our integrated network of agencies and specialized practices to champion meaningful progress through creative, media, commerce, data and technology. Part of Dentsu Group, our global network comprises 66,000 diverse people in 143 countries, who are dedicated to teaming for growth and good. Some of our award-winning agencies include 360i, Carat, dentsumcgarrybowen, DEG, dentsuX, iProspect and Merkle. Follow us on Twitter @DentsuUSA and visit dentsu.com/us.
We are champions for meaningful progress and we strive to be a force for good—for our people, for our clients, for the industry and for our society. We keep our people at the center, creating space for growth, understanding and learning so they can thrive. We embed diversity, in our mindset, in our solutions and in our teams to empower an inclusive, equitable and culturally fluent environment. Building this culture within our teams makes us better collaborators with each other and with our clients, driving better outcomes for all.
Our legal team is committed to the General Counsel Oath, which sets out to use our collective power, influence and knowledge as legal and compliance professionals to:
- set a standard for personal and professional behavior
- improve access to justice
- promote anti-racism
- eliminate institutional bias
- and support diversity, equity and inclusion within our teams and throughout our organizations.
You can read more about the General Counsel Oath at https://generalcounseloath.com/about/
Dentsu International is seeking a privacy and data protection focused attorney to join its Americas privacy team as Data Protection and Privacy Counsel. The attorney in this role will support strategic privacy initiatives and provide transactional, policy, regulatory and compliance support to its Americas-based advertising agencies, with a focus on the US market.
Reporting to the Associate General Counsel (Privacy) - Americas, you will be responsible for a variety of commercially focused matters relating to data protection and privacy across all areas of the company, including assisting with innovative commercial initiatives.
- Work closely with the Associate General Counsel (Privacy) - Americas and key stakeholders to provide strategic advice and direction on privacy issues across the Americas region in coordination with global-based members of the Data Protection and Privacy legal and compliance teams.
- Advise business and technology partners on product and service development and delivery consistent with the regional data privacy program, with a focus on the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and similar federal and state legislation, CASL, PIPEDA and other Americas-centered data protection legislation.
- Draft and negotiate a broad range of data-focused contracts, amendments, addenda, and terms relating to compliance with CCPA, the General Data Protection Regulation and other Americas and global privacy laws.
- Counsel display advertising teams regarding data driven advertising solutions while ensuring compliance with applicable privacy and data protection laws.
- Provide data protection support and advice to the Americas commercial legal teams to identify risks and provide strategic legal advice related to data products, client services, the purchase and sale of audience data, the handling of employee data, potential acquisitions and other matters.
- Monitor developments and changes to data protection and privacy laws and digital advertising industry best practice and advise on necessary organizational changes required.
- Draft and maintain Americas regional privacy policies, procedures, notices and guidelines and review those of individual clients.
- Juris Doctorate with 2 – 5 years of experience in a role at least 50% dedicated to data privacy in an in-house, law firm, or consulting setting. Candidate should have experience providing advice relating to the impact of data protection and privacy in the context of hardware and software, digital platforms, advertising and marketing technology, and other platforms that are used in connection with personal information.
- Experience with domestic and international laws and regulations relating to personal information (e.g. CCPA, LGPD, PIPEDA, GDPR), direct marketing (e.g. CAN-SPAM, TCPA, CASL, ePrivacy Directive), financial information (e.g. FCRA, GLBA), and children’s data (e.g. COPPA).
- Familiarity with protected health information (e.g. HIPAA) laws and regulations is a plus.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional certification (e.g., CIPP/E, CIPP/US, or CIPM) is a plus
- Familiarity with advertising technology, marketing technology, digital/online advertising ecosystem, audience profiling/segmentation, and business to business data transfers as they relate to a media and advertising agency is preferable.
- Experience in working with associations, such as 4As, IAB, NAI, and DAA, as well as major digital platforms is preferable
Employees from diverse or underrepresented backgrounds encouraged to apply.
Dentsu (the "Company") is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee of the Company, on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done that will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing an undue hardship on the Company. Please contact [email protected] if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process or to request or discuss an accommodation in connection with a job at the Company to which you are applying.