Systems Safety Engineer
- Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Founded in 1989, Crown CI applies engineering, information solutions, and analytics expertise to assist government and industry in enhancing performance and planning for future challenges. Specializing in the field of aviation, CCI has earned a reputation for forging system and service solutions based on analytic rigor and real-world perspectives – as reflected in contributions to challenging programs with the FAA and NASA. Today, the company is at the forefront in integrating Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) into the National Airspace System – advancing FAA efforts – as well as the initiatives of North Carolina and New York State - to introduce UAS technology to serve a host of public and commercial purposes safely.
Crown offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. Benefits start on the first day of employment along with generous PTO accrual and aggressive 401K employer match.
Crown was voted as "One of the DC region’s Top Workplaces in 2020".
General duties of the position:
- Knowledge and experience with conducting system design approvals, type certification, operational safety assessments, and industry design assurance standards, etc.
- Evaluate the potential impact to NAS operations, systems, and services if new Non-Fed technology or system would be integrated into the NAS.
- Conduct requirements development activities, to include planning for and participating in Operational Safety Assessments (OSAs) and drafting of OSA reports, compiling technical system requirements, and drafting requirements documents.
- Support all safety related aspects of evaluation, testing, approval, and integration of Non-Federally developed technologies into the NAS environment.
- Conduct assessments of vendor system documentation, including, but not limited to, Functional Hazard Assessments, Preliminary System Safety Assessments, and System Safety Assessments.
- Conduct independent review/audit of vendor safety analysis, safety requirements development, design/implementation of safety requirements, and verification of safety related implementations.
- Evaluate hardware and software capabilities and commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) components in accordance with design assurance standards (RTCA/DO-278A, RTCA/DO-254, etc.)
- Assist with identifying policy issues and concerns between non-fed technology and current operations and procedures and work towards a resolution.
- Provide feedback to vendor applicants for type certification and/or system design approval regarding deficiencies in submittals.
- Participate in meetings (in-person and telecon) with vendor applicants for type certification and/or system design approval.
- Participate in meetings (in-person and telecon) with ASDS team members and other FAA stakeholders.
- Develop briefings, charts, and other graphical presentations for review and decision-making. Brief management and/or senior level officials on actions, findings, challenges, risks, recommendations, etc.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and interim reports as required.
Specific knowledge requirements and duties:
- Familiarity with System Safety Assessment guidelines, such as ARP 4761 and ARP 4754 is required.
- Knowledge of FAA’s Acquisition Management System (AMS), Safety Management System (SMS), and FAA’s Safety Risk Management Guidance for System Acquisition (SRMGSA) is preferred.
- BS in Engineering or related field
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance
Visit: www.crownci.com for additional information on our company.
Crown is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, age, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Persons unable to complete an online application should contact Crown HR for assistance at (703) 650-0663 ext 3059.
Crown is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor