Big Data Software Engineer (CR-0103-E-KG-CA)
- Mountain View, CA
Founded in 1989, Crown CI applies engineering, information solutions, and analytics expertise to assist government and industry in enhancing performance and planning for future challenges. Specializing in the field of aviation, CCI has earned a reputation for forging system and service solutions based on analytic rigor and real-world perspectives – as reflected in contributions to challenging programs with the FAA and NASA. Today, the company is at the forefront in integrating Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) into the National Airspace System – advancing FAA efforts – as well as the initiatives of North Carolina and New York State - to introduce UAS technology to serve a host of public and commercial purposes safely.
Crown offers a competitive compensation package with opportunities for growth and professional development. Benefits start on the first day of employment along with generous PTO accrual and aggressive 401K employer match.
Crown was voted as "One of the DC region’s Top Workplaces in 2018".
Summary: The Aviation Systems Division is seeking a Big Data Software Engineer to lead in the design, development, test and administration of concepts and algorithms for NASA’s Sherlock Hadoop Big Data Warehouse. The incumbent will work with a small team of highly motivated software developers and aviation researchers that is central to the research undertaken by NASA’s Aviation Systems Division. The software products include support of a Hadoop cluster as well as an Oracle Apex interface to a large disparate set of databases and file systems.
Background: NASA has access to many Air Traffic Management (ATM) flight, weather, and traffic flow-related data sources. This data is critical to research and development of NASA’s new concepts in ATM to support the National Airspace System (NAS). NASA is collecting all the NAS data for the roughly 60,000 flights flown per day across the U.S. into a data warehouse. The Sherlock Data Warehouse is a platform for reliable ATM data collection, archiving, processing, query, and delivery as well as becoming a platform for big data analytics.
- Lead the design, development, and testing of new complex features for the Sherlock Data Warehouse for NASA
- Guide software and database developers and IT admin on administration and upgrades to the Sherlock Data Warehouse
- Work productively in a team environment
- B.S. in Systems, Aerospace or Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Hadoop, Spark, Oracle Apex, git, stash, jira, Confluence, Eclipse or Netbeans, Jenkins, Java, Linux, Mac OS
- Proficient in Java, SQL, and one or more scripting languages
- Software architecture
- Software engineering/management requirements
- Software design (object-oriented design, and Java patterns)
- Unit testing
- Apache Spark, Jupyter notebook and the Anaconda python distribution
- Ability and desire to work with a new domain
- Ability to be productive in a fast-paced team environment
Desired skills, but not required:
- Knowledge of ATM system
- Aircraft pilot experience
Visit: www.crownci.com for additional information on our company.
Crown is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, age, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Persons unable to complete an online application should contact Crown HR for assistance at (703) 650-0663 ext 3059.
Crown is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor