Director, Clinical Scientist
- 200 Cambridge Park Dr, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
Precision therapeutics for genetically defined diseases. Real solutions for real challenges.
Who We Are
Cogent Biosciences is a biotechnology company developing real solutions to treat genetically driven diseases. With a focus on rational drug discovery and development, we are leveraging validated biology to advance precision therapies designed to address the true underlying drivers of disease and provide real hope for patients. Cogent’s lead therapeutic candidate, CGT9486 (formerly known as PLX9486), is a precision kinase inhibitor designed to selectively and potently inhibit the KIT D816V mutation. This mutation is responsible for driving a rare and serious condition called Systemic Mastocytosis which can severely impact many different tissues and organs in the body. We are also studying CGT9486 to treat advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST), which have a strong dependence on oncogenic KIT signaling.
This is a unique opportunity to play a key role in drug development at an early-stage, well-funded, and fast-growing biotech company. This position will be a key participant in the research and development organization and will be a vital part of helping to achieve Cogent deliver patient cures. Cogent is a place where your input matters -- you will have a direct impact on our science and will help to build our capability as a team. You will also shape the Cogent culture and be a part of a passionate, transparent, and collaborative work environment.
For the Director of Clinical Sciences, we are looking for a resourceful, entrepreneurial, and matrixed individual who excels in operating at both strategic and “roll up your sleeves” levels, both in support of specific programs as well as the entire enterprise. The opportunity requires a creative thinker who takes independent initiative to identify and address challenges, and also works collaboratively to drive the development and refinement of clinical and scientific processes and procedures in support of program deliverables. This individual will help support the development and standardization of clinical research processes and procedures. As the organization grows and matures, the successful individual will be able to assume increasing strategic and leadership responsibilities, and augmenting this internal expertise with broad, yet flexible, external expertise in support of a growing development portfolio.
What You Will Do:
- In cooperation with the VP of clinical sciences and key Cogent R&D stakeholders, contribute to the clinical strategy and creation of the clinical development plans for one or more candidate clinical drug products.
- Provide scientific input to the efficacy and safety endpoint objectives of a trial and assure efficient and innovative clinical study designs, collaborating closely with team members to assure feasibility of the clinical study.
- Provide clinical oversight of study execution in collaboration with all members of the clinical study team, in partnership with clinical operations.
- Support the head of clinical sciences with the development of program documents, including clinical protocols and the clinical sections of various regulatory documents such as clinical study reports, investigator brochures, annual reports and updates, and clinical sections of regulatory submissions to support product submissions and approvals.
- Collaborate with the clinical development team on the review, analysis, and interpretation of study results and assure appropriate data review and accurate data reporting.
- Identify study issues and program issues by reviewing and monitoring of emerging clinical data related to safety and efficacy. Develop sound, strategic solutions to issues and collaborate with the clinical team to ensure issue resolution.
- Prepare data for various presentations including peer-review publications.
- Maintain current knowledge of the external environment to ensure scientific innovations are considered and/or incorporated into clinical trial development strategy.
- Contribute to the development and standardization of templates, processes, infrastructure and procedures to support the clinical research needs of a growing organization.
What You Bring:
- A dynamic individual who likes to lead and contribute as part of a passionate, growing team.
- RN, MS, PhD or PharmD, or equivalent with clinical research experience. Advanced degree and/or professional certification/credentials highly preferred.
- 5+ years of direct experience in clinical trial design, execution, and reporting, preferably in the pharmaceutical industry; oncology experience preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the drug development process from IND/CTA through BLA/NDA submission.
- Broad understanding of functional areas of drug development, including preclinical, regulatory, pharmacovigilance, drug supply, data sciences (data management, biostatistics, programming), and clinical operations (including site selection, study start-up, study conduct, and finalization).
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and write clearly, concisely, and effectively.
- Ability to understand, interpret and communicate clinical information including literature reviews, competitive intelligence, and changing treatment paradigms in order to apply knowledge to support a robust clinical development strategy.
- Understanding of trial design and statistics in order to apply knowledge to the design of clinical protocols
- Ability to interpret, analyze, and present clinical data in order to inform decision-making and set clinical strategy.
- Well-organized: ability to prioritize tasks with a successful track record of managing multiple projects in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
Cambridge, MA: Our Boston office is located within walking distance of the Alewife T station in Cambridge, MA. Our space includes an open office layout designed for collaboration. Free access is provided for both on-site parking and gym facilities in the building. We are in close proximity to leading academic institutions like MIT and Harvard and to potential pharmaceutical and biotech partners. This unique location allows for a high level of energy and intellectual exchange within and among fast growing early stage companies.
Boulder, CO: We are in the process of building a second location in the fast-growing biopharmaceutical hub in the greater Denver/Boulder corridor. Our CEO is based full-time in this location, which will serve as the future home of Cogent’s discovery research organization.
Our Offer To You
To attract the very best talent, we offer a generous benefits package that includes competitive pay, performance-based bonus, stock options, insurance coverage (health, dental, life, and disability), unlimited time-off, a 401(k) plan, and commuter/parking benefits.
- Cogent is an equal opportunity employer
- Note to agencies – we are not accepting unsolicited resumes from agencies and will not be responsible for fees associated with any such submittals