Senior Director, Program Leader
- 200 Cambridgepark Dr, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
Precision therapeutics for genetically defined diseases. Real solutions for real challenges.
Who We Are
Cogent Biosciences is a biotechnology company developing real solutions to treat genetically driven diseases. With a focus on rational drug discovery and development, we are leveraging validated biology to advance precision therapies designed to address the true underlying drivers of disease and provide real hope for patients. Cogent’s lead therapeutic candidate, PLX9486 (expected to be named CGT9486 in the future), is a precision kinase inhibitor designed to selectively and potently inhibit the KIT D816V mutation. This mutation is responsible for driving a rare and serious condition called Systemic Mastocytosis which can severely impact many different tissues and organs in the body. We are also studying PLX9486 to treat advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST), which have a strong dependence on oncogenic KIT signaling.
What You Will Do
- Drive the team to define a vision for the product and develop a short- and long-term asset strategy for product development
- Drive one or more molecule programs and lead the Product Team(s). As collaboration across a matrixed organization is essential for the success of the program, the Program Leader (PL) is responsible for ensuring that relevant functions are represented on the Product Team and that key stakeholders are kept up to date on relevant information about the program(s)
- Conduct continuous project risk assessment and implement appropriate mitigations in collaboration with the Program Manager.
- Participate in business development evaluations, as relevant, and be actively involved in due diligence. The PL is responsible for ensuring that integration of new projects progresses according to plan and risks affecting resources or timelines are assessed and mitigated
- Actively manage a strong collaboration with the Program Manager to support co-leadership of the product and cross-functional Product Team
- Act as Product Team spokesperson to the executive team or other governance bodies for discussions asset strategy. Lead and manage both the preparation and communication of relevant updates of the Program and present the Development Strategy and updates to multiple stakeholders, potentially including the Executive Leadership Team, Scientific Advisory Board, and the Board of Directors
- Ensure cross-functional alignment and organizational support for the clinical development strategy by facilitating internal and external stakeholder meetings
- Accountable for ensuring that the necessary resources are available to projects to support their success
- Together with the Program Manager, lead team to develop an operational plan that includes realistic timelines, budget and resources planning, risk assessment and contingency planning
- Promote a culture of innovation within the Product Team in order to bring forward creative development plans that maximize the potential of the product.
- Drive the team to out-of-box thinking and creative issue resolution
- In collaboration with the Program Manager, manage prioritization of program team activities to enhance program value
- In collaboration with the Program Manager, identify bottlenecks, surface issues, and proactively drive for their resolution, and lead contingency planning efforts
- Ensure effective, proactive and open communications, horizontally and vertically, in order to achieve transparency and clarity of program goals, progress and issues
What You Bring
- Advanced degree with a scientific focus
- 8+ years in the life-sciences, biotech and pharmaceutical industry
- At least 5 years equivalent multi-/ cross-functional leadership experience
- Excellent cross-functional team and relationship building skills and leadership skills, and ability to influence to achieve desired outcomes
- Clinical development experience a must, late-stage development experience preferred
- Previous work and leadership experience in multidisciplinary drug development teams and broad operational experience with an understanding of drug development process
- Advanced knowledge of regulatory and business requirements
- Understanding of basic financial aspects of clinical development, including knowledge of resource planning (headcount and budget) and management
- Expert planning and tracking skills, able to see big picture, well-organized, focused on results, capable of managing multiple projects, excellent time management with respect to priorities and self-management
- Advanced leadership skills and ability to influence to achieve desired outcomes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for bridging between scientific and business participants, for negotiating timelines and for effective collaboration.
Cogent is located within walking distance of the Alewife T station in Cambridge, MA. Our space includes an open office layout designed for collaboration. Free access is provided for both on-site parking and gym facilities in the building. We are in close proximity to leading academic institutions like MIT and Harvard and to potential pharmaceutical and biotech partners. This unique location allows for a high level of energy and intellectual exchange within and among fast growing early stage companies.
Our Offer To You
To attract the very best talent, we offer a generous benefits package that includes competitive pay, performance-based bonus, stock options, insurance coverage (health, dental, life, and disability), unlimited time-off, a 401(k) plan, and commuter/parking benefits.
- Cogent is an equal opportunity employer
- Note to agencies – we are not accepting unsolicited resumes from agencies and will not be responsible for fees associated with any such submittals