Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
- _, Boulder, Colorado, United States
Precision therapeutics for genetically defined diseases. Real solutions for real challenges.
Who We Are
Cogent Biosciences is a biotechnology company developing real solutions to treat genetically driven diseases. With a focus on rational drug discovery and development, we are leveraging validated biology to advance precision therapies designed to address the true underlying drivers of disease and provide real hope for patients. Cogent’s lead therapeutic candidate, PLX9486 (expected to be named CGT9486 in the future), is a precision kinase inhibitor designed to selectively and potently inhibit the KIT D816V mutation. This mutation is responsible for driving a rare and serious condition called Systemic Mastocytosis which can severely impact many different tissues and organs in the body. We are also studying PLX9486 to treat advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST), which have a strong dependence on oncogenic KIT signaling.
We are growing! This is one of a few roles that will help build out our research team to be located in Colorado.
We are looking for Medicinal Chemistry leaders as we build out our Boulder, CO drug discovery teams at Cogent Biosciences. In this opportunity you will be a thought leader our team will look to drive the science as we build out a strategic and robust pipeline.
What You Will Do:
- Initiating and directing the design, synthesis, purification and characterization of compounds
- Designing compounds that lead to the identification of best in class drug candidates for clinical development
- Functioning as a medicinal chemistry leader, strategize on tasks outside your area of expertise with drug discovery partners
- Facilitating the design of new compounds by interacting with other chemists
- Partner with other discovery disciplines to enable project success
- Present project progress to project teams and leadership
- Actively stay up to date on scientific advancements from the literature
What You Bring:
- PhD in Organic Chemistry and a minimum of 12+ years related experience, or equivalent
- Strong track record in Medicinal Chemistry delivering on projects from early discovery through candidate nomination
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts
- Cross-functional proficiency in drug discovery subject areas of biology, pharmacology and toxicology
- Experience managing external chemistry resources
- Reputation as emerging leader in field with sustained performance and accomplishment
Cambridge, MA: Our Boston office is located within walking distance of the Alewife T station in Cambridge, MA. Our space includes an open office layout designed for collaboration. Free access is provided for both on-site parking and gym facilities in the building. We are in close proximity to leading academic institutions like MIT and Harvard and to potential pharmaceutical and biotech partners. This unique location allows for a high level of energy and intellectual exchange within and among fast growing early stage companies.
Boulder, CO: We are in the process of building a second location in the fast-growing biopharmaceutical hub in the greater Denver/Boulder corridor. Our CEO is based full-time in this location, which will serve as the future home of Cogent’s discovery research organization.
Our Offer To You
To attract the very best talent, we offer a generous benefits package that includes competitive pay, performance-based bonus, stock options, insurance coverage (health, dental, life, and disability), unlimited time-off, a 401(k) plan, and commuter/parking benefits.
- Cogent is an equal opportunity employer
- Note to agencies – we are not accepting unsolicited resumes from agencies and will not be responsible for fees associated with any such submittals